Partial Derivative Question

• I
  • Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

While working at home during the COVID-19 pandemic I've taken to seeing if I can still do math from undergrad (something I do once in a while to at least pretend my life isn't dominated by excel). So to that I've been reviewing partial derivatives (which I haven't really thought about in a good seven-ish years).

The exercise I'm working asks the following: Compute all first and second partial derivatives, including mixed derivatives, of the following ##0 = sin(xy) - x^2 -y^2##.

I think I'm good on the first and second partials:
$$\frac {\partial V}{\partial x} = y cos(xy) - 2x$$
$$\frac {\partial V}{\partial y} = x cos(xy) - 2y$$
$$\frac {\partial^2 V}{\partial x^2} = -y^2 sin(xy) - 2$$
$$\frac {\partial^2 V}{\partial y^2} = -x^2 sin(xy) - 2$$
Where I get tripped up is on the mixed derivative:
$$\frac {\partial^2 V}{\partial x \partial y} = \frac {\partial}{\partial x} \left( \frac {\partial V}{\partial y} \right) = \frac {\partial}{\partial x} \left( x cos(xy) - 2y \right)...$$
And this is where I get hung up. Do I simply proceed with an application of the production rule, ##(f \cdot g)' = f' \cdot g + f \cdot g'##?
$$\frac {\partial}{\partial x} \left( x cos(xy) - 2y \right) = (1) cos(xy) + x (-y sin(xy)) = cos(xy) - xy sin(xy)$$
I feel like I'm missing something. Have I done this right? Am I way overthinking this?

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
And this is where I get hung up. Do I simply proceed with an application of the production rule, ##(f \cdot g)' = f' \cdot g + f \cdot g'##?
$$\frac {\partial}{\partial x} \left( x cos(xy) - 2y \right) = (1) cos(xy) + x (-y sin(xy)) = cos(xy) - xy sin(xy)$$
I feel like I'm missing something. Have I done this right? Am I way overthinking this?
That looks right.

That looks right.
Thanks! Sometimes, when you spend too long looking at an exercise, you question your sanity.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
To take a partial derivative with respect to x you treat y as a constant. So [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}x cos(xy)- 2x[/itex] is the same as [itex]\frac{d}{dx} xcos(ax)- 2x= cos(ax)- axsin(x)- 2[/itex] where, since I replaced "y" with the constant "a" we need to replace back- [itex]\frac{\partial^2V}{\partial xy}= cos(xy)- xysin(xy)- 2[/itex].

Similarly, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} y cox(xy)- 2y[/itex] is [itex]\frac{d}{dy} y cos(ay)- 2y= cos(ay)- ay sin(ay)- 2= cos(xy)- xy sin(xy)- 2[/itex].

Notice that those are the same. It is true that, as long as V and its first and second partial derivatives are continuous, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial V}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}[/itex].