Partial Derivative Homework: Wrong Arguments?

In summary, the conversation discusses an argument about partial derivatives involving the chain rule and the function w = f(x,y), where y = x^2. The expert summarizes that the argument is incorrect because it expands \partial w/\partial x in an unjustified way, and suggests using a counterexample to prove its falsehood.
ak123456

Homework Statement

what s the wrong with the following arguments
suppose that w=f(x,y)and y=x^2
by the chain rule
(for partial derivative )
Dw/Dx=(Dw/Dx)( Dx/Dx)+(Dw/Dy)(Dy/Dx)=Dw/Dx+2x( Dw/Dy)
hence 2x( Dw/Dy)=0 ,and so Dw/Dy=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the argument is not right because we can not write Dx/Dx and w has the relationship with x and y ,so we don't need to use Dy/Dx Dx/Dx to get x ,we can do it directly
is there any counterexample ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't write dw/dx because f is a function of two variables. The derivatives you have to work with are
[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}[/tex]

I don't see that it makes any difference that y happens to be equal to x^2. If both x and y were functions of a third variable, say t, then you could talk about dw/dt, but to get it you would still need both partial derivatives and would need to use the chain rule.

Mark44 said:
You can't write dw/dx because f is a function of two variables. The derivatives you have to work with are
and
[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}[/tex]

I don't see that it makes any difference that y happens to be equal to x^2. If both x and y were functions of a third variable, say t, then you could talk about dw/dt, but to get it you would still need both partial derivatives and would need to use the chain rule.

all of them are partial derivative ,because i don't know how to type the symbol for partial derivative

ak123456 said:

Homework Statement

what s the wrong with the following arguments
suppose that w=f(x,y)and y=x^2
by the chain rule
(for partial derivative )
Dw/Dx=(Dw/Dx)( Dx/Dx)+(Dw/Dy)(Dy/Dx)=Dw/Dx+2x( Dw/Dy)
hence 2x( Dw/Dy)=0 ,and so Dw/Dy=0
I can't see any justification for expanding
the way you did. Certainly
[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}[/tex]
since the latter partial derivative is 1, but I don't see any way that you can add all the other stuff (i.e., the other partials).

ak123456 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i think the argument is not right because we can not write Dx/Dx and w has the relationship with x and y ,so we don't need to use Dy/Dx Dx/Dx to get x ,we can do it directly
is there any counterexample ?

Mark44 said:
I can't see any justification for expanding
the way you did. Certainly
[tex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}[/tex]
since the latter partial derivative is 1, but I don't see any way that you can add all the other stuff (i.e., the other partials).

the problem is that i have to prove the argument is false

Come up with a counterexample for which the statement isn't true. Pick a function of two variables f(x, y), such as f(x, y) = 3x + 2y, where y = x^2.

Mark44 said:
Come up with a counterexample for which the statement isn't true. Pick a function of two variables f(x, y), such as f(x, y) = 3x + 2y, where y = x^2.

thx for your help

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of one variable with respect to another, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (partial symbol) and is commonly used in multivariable calculus.

2. What are some common mistakes made when solving partial derivative homework?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to use the partial symbol (∂), not considering all other variables as constants, and mixing up the order of differentiation when solving for multiple variables. It is important to carefully follow the rules and definitions of partial derivatives in order to avoid these mistakes.

3. How can I check if my partial derivative homework is correct?

You can check your work by plugging your solutions back into the original function and seeing if it satisfies the partial derivative equation. You can also use online calculators or ask a peer or teacher to review your work.

4. Can partial derivatives be applied to any function?

Partial derivatives can be applied to most functions that have multiple variables. However, they may not exist for some functions that are discontinuous or have sharp turns. It is important to check the conditions for existence before calculating a partial derivative.

5. How can I improve my understanding of partial derivatives?

To improve your understanding of partial derivatives, you can practice solving various problems, watch online tutorials, or attend a tutoring session. It may also be helpful to review the basics of calculus and understand how partial derivatives fit into the larger concept of derivatives.