Partial Derivative Homework: Find ∂w/∂z and ∂^2w/∂y∂z

In summary, the conversation discusses finding formulas for the partial derivatives ∂w/∂z and ∂^2w/∂y∂z when given an implicit function w = w(x, y, z) defined by F(x, y, z, w) = 0. The group discusses using the chain rule and product rule to solve for these derivatives, taking into account the non-zero assumptions and composite function. It is also mentioned that differentiating with respect to z may require using a total derivative rather than a partial derivative.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

If w = w(x, y, z) is given implicitly by F(x, y, z, w) = 0, find a formula
for both ∂w/∂z and ∂^2w/∂y∂z . You may assume that each function is sufficiently
differentiable and anything you divide by during the process of your
solution is non-zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know in class, my professor showed us how to implicitly differentiate using this method where if y = y(x) and F(x,y) = 0, you can do dF/dx = ∂F/∂x + ∂F/∂y*dy/dx = 0 and dy/dx = -(∂F/∂x)/(∂F/∂y),
Is this the kind of formula my professor wants us to find?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use the chain rule..

[itex]0 = \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial z} \frac{\partial z}{\partial z} + \hspace{1 mm}...[/itex]

Last edited:
Yea I got ∂w/∂z, but I have no idea how to get the other one, do I do ∂/∂y(∂w/∂z)?

Panphobia said:
Yea I got ∂w/∂z, but I have no idea how to get the other one, do I do ∂/∂y(∂w/∂z)?
Yes

I am not sure what ∂/∂y(∂w/∂x*∂x/∂z) would be, would it just be, d^2w/∂x∂y * ∂^2x/∂z∂y?

Show us what you got for ##\partial w/\partial z##, and then we can discuss what to do next.

Chet

Panphobia said:
I am not sure what ∂/∂y(∂w/∂x*∂x/∂z) would be, would it just be, d^2w/∂x∂y * ∂^2x/∂z∂y?
I don't think so, I believe you'll need to apply the product rule to the expression that you used to get your first answer..

0 = ∂F/∂x + ∂F/∂y + ∂F/∂z + ∂F/∂w*∂w/∂z

∂w/∂z = -(∂F/∂x + ∂F/∂y + ∂F/∂z)/∂F/∂w

Looks like I might needs quotient rule.

Panphobia said:

Looks like I might needs quotient rule.
It looks like it needs more than just that. This result is incorrect.

Chet

Look at post number 3.
Usually it is safe to assume that ##\partial x / \partial z =0##.

Especially if x is one of the parameters that is being held constant.

I don't know what to do at all, I am doing exactly what my prof said to do, make a tree, with F at the top then branch out the different variables then branch out w since it is a function of x,y,z. What exactly did I do wrong in my answer?

Panphobia said:
I don't know what to do at all, I am doing exactly what my prof said to do, make a tree, with F at the top then branch out the different variables then branch out w since it is a function of x,y,z. What exactly did I do wrong in my answer?
I think that you just failed to realize that:
[itex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} * 0 = 0 [/itex]...there are some terms in your answer that should not be there...

Panphobia said:

The first three terms of the original differentiation are missing factors. Presumably what you want is
$$
0=\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}=
\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}+
\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}+
\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial z}
+
\frac{\partial F}{\partial w}\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}$$
Then use the fact that
$$\frac{\partial x}{\partial z}=
\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}=0$$
and
$$\frac{\partial z}{\partial z}=1$$

Why are you multiplying them by ∂x/∂z and ∂y/∂z? If you don't mind me asking, I was never taught you had to do that, well maybe I was but I don't remember, I am looking through my notes and it wasn't mentioned. Like I understand with ∂F/∂w, but not the others.

Panphobia said:
Why are you multiplying them by ∂x/∂z and ∂y/∂z? If you don't mind me asking, I was never taught you had to do that, well maybe I was but I don't remember, I am looking through my notes and it wasn't mentioned. Like I understand with ∂F/∂w, but not the others.
It is because you are required to use the chain rule, you are differentiating a composite function of more than one variable..

Maybe a (somewhat) unrelated example may clear things up:
Suppose you have a function [itex] z = f(x,y) [/itex] where [itex] x = g(s,t) [/itex] and [itex] y=h(s,t) [/itex]. If you want to find the derivative of z with respect to s (a similar situation to the problem you are trying to solve) then you would use the chain rule as follows:
[itex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial s} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s} [/itex]

Oh alright I think I understand looking at the definition, but in class all the examples were like where x,y,z where all functions of t, or s and t, and I never realized that if they aren't a function of anything you still have to use chain rule on it.

You have to use the chain rule because you have:
[itex] w = f(x,y,z) [/itex] given implicitly by [itex] F(x,y,z,w) = 0 [/itex]. So you essentially have [itex] F(x,y,z, f(x,y,z)) = 0 [/itex]. Which is a composite function.

The difference between curly and straight 'd's is a bit tricky in that one. What I wrote above doesn't get them correct because ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}## implies that ##w##, as well as ##x,y##, is kept constant, which prevents us from using the fourth term in the way we want. So I think we need to write it as a total derivative:

$$
0=\frac{dF}{dz}=
\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dz}+
\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dz}+
\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dz}
+
\frac{\partial F}{\partial w}\frac{dw}{dz}$$

This then gives us an answer for ##\frac{dw}{dz}## rather than ##\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}##.

But that's OK because

$$\frac{dw}{dz}=
\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dz}+
\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dz}+
\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}\frac{dz}{dz}=0+0+1\times\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}$$

Let's take a step back. Are you familiar with the following?
[tex]dF=\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\right)_{y,z,w}dx+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\right)_{x,z,w}dy+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)_{x,y,w}dz+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial w}\right)_{x,y,z}dw[/tex]
But, since F is zero, dF = 0, so
[tex]\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\right)dx+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\right)dy+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\right)dz+\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial w}\right)dw=0[/tex]
So,
[tex]dw=-\frac{\partial F/\partial x}{\partial F/\partial w}dx-\frac{\partial F/\partial y}{\partial F/\partial w}dy-\frac{\partial F/\partial z}{\partial F/\partial w}dz[/tex]

Compare this term for term with
[tex]dw=\left(\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\right)dx+\left(\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\right)dy+\left(\frac{\partial w}{\partial z}\right)dz[/tex]

Chet

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to a specific variable, while keeping all other variables constant.

How do you find ∂w/∂z for a given function?

To find ∂w/∂z, you will need to differentiate the given function with respect to the variable z, while treating all other variables as constants. This will result in a new function that represents the partial derivative of w with respect to z.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative only measures the change in a function with respect to one variable, while keeping all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, takes into account the changes in all variables that may affect the function.

How do you find ∂^2w/∂y∂z for a given function?

To find ∂^2w/∂y∂z, you will first need to find the partial derivative ∂w/∂y, treating z as a constant. Then, you will take the partial derivative of this new function with respect to z, giving you the second-order partial derivative of w with respect to y and z.

What is the significance of finding partial derivatives in science and engineering?

Partial derivatives are crucial in understanding how small changes in one variable can affect a larger, multi-variable function. This is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where complex systems are often described by multi-variable functions.