Find y' at (0,1): Partial Derivative at (x,y)=(0,1)

In summary, it is important to be careful and precise in your work, and to fully understand the concepts and techniques you are using.
beaf123
x2y2 + (y+1)e-x=2 + x

Defines y as a differentiable function of x at point (x, y) = (0,1)

Find y′:

My attempt:

∂y/∂x =2xy3 + (-y-1)e-x=1

∂y/∂y = 3x2y2 - e-x=0

Plugging in for x and y ⇒

∂y/∂x = -3

∂y/∂x = -1

For some reason I think y′ is defined as
(∂y/∂x) /(∂y/∂y) = 3

At leas this give the right answer (from solutions), but I am uncertain so I hope someone can correct me where I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
In future posts, please do not delete the homework template.

beaf123 said:
x2y2 + (y+1)e-x=2 + x

Find y′:

My attempt:

No, not even close.
First, you shouldn't be using partial derivatives, as the problem statement says that y is a differentiable function of x.
Second, and more important, to find dy/dx, you need to use implicit differentiation.
beaf123 said:
∂y/∂y = 3x2y2 - e-x=0

Plugging in for x and y ⇒

∂y/∂x = -3

∂y/∂x = -1

For some reason I think y′ is defined as
(∂y/∂x) /(∂y/∂y) = 3

At leas this give the right answer (from solutions), but I am uncertain so I hope someone can correct me where I am wrong.

I looked up implicit differentiation in my book ( thanks for pointing me in the right direction), but it seems like that is what I have been doing even without knowing it. What I did was correct and the answer is correct.

beaf123 said:
I looked up implicit differentiation in my book ( thanks for pointing me in the right direction), but it seems like that is what I have been doing even without knowing it. What I did was correct and the answer is correct.
The answer might possibly be correct, but your work is not correct.

Starting with this equation:
##x^2y^2 + (y + 1)e^{-x} = 2 + x##
and differentiating implicitly with respect to x, we get
##2xy^2 + 2x^2y*y' - (y + 1)e^{-x} + y' e^{-x} = 1##
To continue, put all of the terms involving y' on one side, and all the others on the other side, and solve algebraically for y'.

The formula I found in the book says:

Slope of a level curve ( which is what I have since 2 is a constant)

F(x,y) = c ⇒ y′ = F`1 (x, y) / F`2 (x, y)
F`2 (x, y) ≠ 0

which is exactly what I did. Maybe you would get the same answer doing it your way, but what I did is correct as well.

beaf123 said:
The formula I found in the book says:

Slope of a level curve ( which is what I have since 2 is a constant)

F(x,y) = c ⇒ y′ = F`1 (x, y) / F`2 (x, y)
F`2 (x, y) ≠ 0

which is exactly what I did. Maybe you would get the same answer doing it your way, but what I did is correct as well.
Here's what you posted earlier:
beaf123 said:
x2y2 + (y+1)e-x=2 + x

The function for your level curve would be F(x, y) = C, or x2y2 + (y+1)e-x - x =2
So the left side of the last equation if F(x, y), and C = 2
beaf123 said:
Find y′:

My attempt:

2xy3 can't be right.
Also, the above should be ∂F/∂x and below should be ∂F/∂y, since ∂y/∂y is 1.
beaf123 said:
∂y/∂y = 3x2y2 - e-x=0

I think you stumbled onto the correct answer by accident, which is not a good way to do things. You lucked out that the point in question is (0, 1), so lots of terms drop out.

You are right that it should be ∂F/∂x and below should be ∂F/∂y, since ∂y/∂y is 1 and also I wrote y3 instead of y2 which could be confusing. But as you said it doesent matter cus it drops out.

beaf123 said:
You are right that it should be ∂F/∂x and below should be ∂F/∂y, since ∂y/∂y is 1 and also I wrote y3 instead of y2 which could be confusing. But as you said it doesent matter cus it drops out.

I hope you realize that it matters a lot. You would really see the difference if you started at a different point, such as ##(x,y) = (1,y_1)##, where
[tex] y_1 = \frac{e^{-1}}{2} \left( -1 + \sqrt{12e^2 - 4e +1} \right). [/tex]
Another point is that you might be marked wrong even if your answer is correct but your argument and formulas are incorrect.

Likes Mark44

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a type of derivative in multivariable calculus that calculates how a function changes with respect to a specific variable while holding all other variables constant.

How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to the specific variable of interest, while treating all other variables as constants. This is done using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule.

What is the significance of finding a partial derivative at a specific point?

Calculating a partial derivative at a specific point allows us to understand the rate of change of a function at that particular point. This can provide insight into the behavior of the function and its relationship to the variables involved.

Why is finding y' at (0,1) important?

(0,1) is a specific point on the function, and finding the partial derivative at this point can give us information about the slope of the function at that point. This can help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its behavior in the surrounding area.

How can finding y' at (0,1) be applied in real life?

Partial derivatives are commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to analyze and model various systems. For example, in economics, partial derivatives can be used to calculate marginal cost or marginal revenue, which can inform business decisions. In physics, partial derivatives can be used to calculate rates of change in physical systems, such as velocity and acceleration.