1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives of a strong solution are also solutions?

1. Feb 23, 2013 #1

cjc

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the heat equation [itex]u_{t}=\alpha^{2}u_{xx}[/itex] for [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]t>0[/itex], show that if [itex]u(x,t)[/itex] is a strong solution to the heat equation, then [itex]u_{t}[/itex] and [itex]u_{x}[/itex] are also solutions.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]u_{t}=\alpha^{2}u_{xx}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've considered the following theorem which shows that the integral defining [itex]u[/itex] and the integrals of partial derivatives are all uniformly convergent. It goes as follows:

Let [itex]g(r,s)[/itex] be defined and continuous on [itex]\mathbb{R}\times I[/itex], where [itex]I[/itex] is an interval, and suppose [itex]\partial g/ \partial s[/itex] exists and is continuous. If the improper integral for [itex]G(s)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} g(r,s) dr[/itex] and the improper integral [itex]\int_{\mathbb{R}}\frac{\partial g}{\partial s}(r,s)dr[/itex] are uniformly convergent on [itex]I[/itex], then [itex]G[/itex] is differentiable and [itex]G'(s)=\int_{\mathbb{R}}\frac{\partial g}{\partial s}(r,s)dr[/itex].

My question would be how do I begin to apply this to the given problem?

Thank you so much! =]

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?