1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivatives Proof

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that the equation F(x,y,z) = 0 implicitly defines each of the three variables x, y and z as functions of the other two: z = f(x,y), y = g(x,z), z = h(y,z). If F is differentiable and Fx, Fy and Fz are all nonzero, show that

[itex]\frac{∂z}{∂x}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂x}{∂y}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂y}{∂z}[/itex] = -1

3. The attempt at a solution

I have been scribbling away at this for a little while now and can't see it.
    I assume that I need to prove that each partial derivative = -1, thus -1*-1*-1=-1

Don't want you guys to simply give me the answer but any tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated =D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try a simple example. Say, x+2y+3z=0. You can then solve for f, g and h explicitly and show your product is (-1). And you'll also see that not all of the partials need to be (-1). That should be a good hint to start.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply.
    That worked...but how can I solve for all cases?

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4
    I tried ax+by+cz=0 and solved it and ended up with -1....but this still doesn't solve it for all cases does it?

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sort of does. Since F is differentiable and invertible it can be approximated by a linear function well enough. If you want to be more formal then use the chain rule (read all of the following d's as partial derivatives). E.g. let's try finding dx/dy in terms of F. When you are taking a partial derivative you need to specify what variable is being held constant. In this case it must be z. Now the chain rule for partial derivatives tells you (dF/dx)*(dx/dy)+(dF/dy)*(dy/dy)+(dF/dz)*(dz/dy)=0, right? If you hold z constant, can you solve that for dx/dy in terms of partial derivatives of F? Repeat that for dz/dx and dy/dz and multiply the results together.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. Sep 14, 2011 #6
    Thank you so much for that.
    I had tried using the chain rule, but I mixed it up =( I only started teaching myself partial derivatives 2 days ago so I'll give my self a break for stuffing up =P

Thank you again, I'll give that a shot and see how it goes

8. Sep 14, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's ok. This one is a little subtle. I had to ponder it a while.

9. Sep 14, 2011 #8
    haha I'm glad you had trouble with it to, makes me feel less dumb =P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook