1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives question?

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    I have z=(e^y)φ*[y*e^(x^2/2y^2)].I have to prove that y*(dz/dx) -x*(dz/dy)=0.First of all what does φ mean there?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure that this isn't specified in the problem or earlier in the text? My first guess is that it's just some number and that it won't contribute to the final result. But the only way I can verify that is to assume that it is, and then solve the problem under that assumption. This seems like something you should try yourself. Have you tried to compute the partial derivatives of the z defined by
    $$z=e^y φye^{\frac{x^2}{2y^2}}$$ where ##\varphi## is just a number?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  4. Mar 26, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is e^(x^2/2y^2) supposed to be
    [tex] e^{\left( \frac{x^2}{2y^2}\right)}[/tex]
    or is it
    [tex] e^{\left( \frac{x^2}{2}y^2\right)} ?[/tex]
    If you mean the former, you need parentheses, like this: e^(x^2/(2y^2)); if you mean the latter, you can just leave it as is, since that is what you actually wrote!

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4
    Hello

Does the original statement read
    [itex]z=e^{y}\varphi(ye^{\frac{x^{2}}{2y^{2}}})[/itex]?

If yes [itex]\varphi(ye^{\frac{x^{2}}{2y^{2}}})[/itex] could be a function. If they specifically have told [itex]\varphi[/itex]*(the stuff in the bracket), then [itex]\varphi[/itex] may be a constant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted