1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives.

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    im given the function f(r,a,b) and z=rcos(a) y=rsin(a)sin(b) x=rsin(a)cos(b)
    now i need to find the partial derivative of f'_y, without solving r,a,b in terms of x,y,z, what that i got is:
    the answer should include the derivatives of f wrt r,a,b, which i think i did ok, (i only needed to calculate a'_y,b'_y,r'_y).
    but i have another question and it's to solve r,a,b in terms of x,y,z which i did, and then to calculate the above derivative directly by the chain rule.
    i think i need to use here a jacobian, so i defined the implicit functions: F=z-rcos(a) G=y-rsin(a)sin(b) H=x-rsin(a)cos(b), my proble is that in order to calclualte it: i need to know what's f, cause:
    the question is how to do it?

thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2006 #2
    cant u use chain rule?
  4. Dec 7, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You would use the Jacobian in changing variables in integration.

To differentiate in different variables, use the chain rule.
  5. Dec 8, 2006 #4
    so how would i calclulate the derivatives of:
    f'_a f'_r and f'_b, i mean after i solved for a,r,b in terms of x,y,z:
    and then to substitue f'_r in the first equation and this way also to do with f'_b and f'_a, is this correct?
  6. Dec 8, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is correct.

And it is easy to see that [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2+ z^2}[/itex], [itex]b= arctan(\frac{y}{x})[/itex], and [itex]a= arctan(\frac{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}{z}[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?