1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivatives

1. Dec 10, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Partial Derivatives

I'm having a bit of trouble on an old test problem. It states:

Determine if there is a function f(x, y) such that fx(x, y) = yex + 1 and fy(x, y) = ex + cos(y). If such a function exists, find it.

I know that such a function exists because fxy(x, y) = ex, and fyx(x, y) = ex, thus fxy = fyx.

I'm having trouble finding the original function. I know that I would probably have to integrate somehow, but I'm not sure how to go about that with partial derivatives.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

integrate fx(x, y) with respect to x. This will tell you that f(x,y) is of the form e^x+x+C(y), where C(y) is some function of y. Do the same thing, but with fy(x, y).. you'll get f(x,y)=...+D(x) where CDx) is some function of x. Compare the two expressions of f(x,y) thus obtained, and conclude as to the value of C(y) and D(x), and hence of f(x,y)
  4. Dec 10, 2007 #3
    Ok, I found that f(x, y) = yex + x + sin(y), and it checks with the first order partial derivatives. Thank you very much :)
  5. Dec 11, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Plus a constant, of course.
  6. Dec 11, 2007 #5
    Right, I forgot that part, haha. Thanks :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?