Partial Derivatives: Depend on Form?

In summary: Yes, when you write down a partial derivative you implicitly assume that some combination of variables is held constant.
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] partial derivatives

Homework Statement

Can the partial derivative of a function depend depend on the form it is in?

Say, z = f(x,y), and y=g(x,w). If I take

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} [/tex]

then I get

[tex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y}[/tex]

which is not necessarily 0. But [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} [/itex] is also equal to

[tex]\frac{\partial f(x,g(x,w))}{\partial y}[/tex]

which is identically 0. This is DRIVING ME OUT OF MY MIND.

Also, say we have z = f(x,y) = x^2+y^2+y and we also know that x=y. Then z also equals g(x,y) = x^2+y^2+x.

Thus, we get

[tex]2 y +1 = \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial g(x,y)}{\partial y} = 2y[/tex]

which is absurd. What is wrong with my logic?
All of these examples come from thermodynamics.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course the partial derivative depends on the form of the function. When you write a partial derivative you are implicitly assuming that some combination of variables is held constant. When you juggle the form around like that you are changing what you are thinking of as 'constant'. Don't do that. Use the chain rule for partial derivatives and everything will take care of itself.

To expound on what Dick just said --- make sure you say which variables are being held constant, *explicitly*.

Dick said:
Of course the partial derivative depends on the form of the function. When you write a partial derivative you are implicitly assuming that some combination of variables is held constant.

So, you are saying that partial derivatives do not make sense unless you hold enough variables constant to make the partial derivative unambiguous? That is, whenever I write down I partial derivative, I should always make sure that I have specified enough variables SO THAT THE PARTIAL DERIVATIVE IS INDEPENDENT OF THE FORM OF THE FUNCTION, right?

How do you know when you have specified enough variables to make the partial derivative unambiguous?

Last edited:
Uh, when you've specified enough that the function is only a function of one unfixed variable.

Dick said:
Uh, when you've specified enough that the function is only a function of one unfixed variable.

What about the first two questions in my last post?

The answer to both of those questions is "yes".

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are the derivatives of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. They represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable.

2. How do partial derivatives depend on form?

The form of a function can determine the rules for finding its partial derivatives. For example, a linear function will always have a constant partial derivative, while the partial derivative of a quadratic function will depend on the degree of the polynomial.

3. What is the difference between partial derivatives and ordinary derivatives?

Partial derivatives deal with functions of multiple variables, while ordinary derivatives deal with functions of a single variable. In partial derivatives, we only consider the change in one variable while holding all others constant, whereas ordinary derivatives look at the overall change in a function.

4. Why are partial derivatives important in science?

Partial derivatives are important in science because they allow us to analyze the rate of change of a function with respect to specific variables. This is useful in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where functions often depend on multiple variables.

5. How are partial derivatives used to optimize functions?

Partial derivatives are used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function. By setting the partial derivatives equal to zero and solving for the variables, we can find the critical points of a function and determine whether they correspond to a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.