Partial Derivatives: Finding dz/dx w/o z=u^v

In summary, the question is asking for dz/du and dz/dv, but does not provide any information on what those terms mean. The author is trying to find these terms by first finding dz/du and then finding dz/dv. However, this is not a general procedure and will only work in a specific example.
Firepanda
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5736/wathh1.jpg

I think to find dz/dx (d = delta) first of all is by

dz/dx = (dz/du)(du/dx) + (dz/dv)(dv/dx)

But how do I find dz/du and dz/dv for this?

I only have 1 example that resembles this and it had z defined as a function as z = u^v, but here I don't have that, so how can I find it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
find dz/du * du/dx - take the derivative of u with respects to x

Sorry I don't understand, I'm trying to find dz/du first then dz/dx.

If I take the derivative of u with respect to x and hold y constant, then i get the partial derivative of du/dx. Don't I?

I don't think you mean delta. I think that you're writing the chain rule and meant to write partial derivatives and the d's are [tex]\partial[/tex] right?

I'll give you an example:

[tex]
z = uv, u=\cos (x+y), v=\sin (x+y)
[/tex]
then clearly [tex]z=\frac{1}{2}\sin2(x+y) \Rightarrow \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \cos2(x+y)[/tex]

But now let's use your formula and see if we get the same thing:
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}=v=\sin(x+y),\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=-\sin(x+y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial v}=u=\cos(x+y),\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}=\cos(x+y)[/tex]

So that
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial y} \Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=-\sin(x+y)\sin(x+y)+\cos(x+y)\cos(x+y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\cos2(x+y)[/tex]

And hey it's the same thing! So in that example all the derivatives are partial derivatives, and you keep the other variables constant when you evaluate them.

Ah sorry ye I thought the curly d was a delta :P

Thanks for your reply, so am I right in assuming dz/du = v and dz/dv = u?

I didn't know that, thanks.

Firepanda said:
Thanks for your reply, so am I right in assuming dz/du = v and dz/dv = u?

I didn't know that, thanks.

Not in general, just in that example. For instance if you have [tex]z=u^2v^3[/tex] then [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial u}=2uv^3[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial v}=3uv^2[/tex].

ok well in my question

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5736/wathh1.jpg

I plan on finding dz/du and dz/dv, but how do I go about this?

I don't have a z = .. like you are using in your examples unless I am misunderstanding the notation in the question.

I then plan on spending a while figuring out where to go from there :)

Edit: It says z = f(x,y) but I'm not sure what this means exactly.

:/ I just found more examples in a textbook, they all have f(x,y) equal to something, here I do not, is it a mistake with the question?

Its only worth 4 marks and it's taking me forever to do.

I'm assuming that your function f is complex valued and therefore may be written,

[tex]z = f(x,y) = u + i v = x+ay + i\left(x-ay\right)[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i\frac{\partial z}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow z_x = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(x+ay\right) + i\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(x-ay\right)[/tex]

An similarly for partial derivatives with respect to y. Does that help?

Last edited:
Yes thankyou, I'll work on from there :)

Firepanda said:
:/ I just found more examples in a textbook, they all have f(x,y) equal to something, here I do not, is it a mistake with the question?

Its only worth 4 marks and it's taking me forever to do.

I am using Glyn James, and I had like 20 these like questions! :D (almost in every single exercise related to partial ...), and also we always get this type of question on the exam:

Here's two good questions:
1)
u = xy
v = x-y
z = f(u,v)

show :
x.dz/dx - y.dz/dy = (x-y)* (dz/du)

2)(little harder)
u = x+ay
v = x+by
z = f(u,v)

show
9 (d^2f/dx^2) - 9 (d^2f/dx.dy) + 2 (d^2f/dy^2) = 0
into
d^2f / du.dv = 0Main strategy to solve these questions: draw a tree with vars!

Hootenanny, your solution does not any sense to me >>

Here's how I think it should be done:
z = f(x,y)
x = u+v
y = (u-v)/a

dz/du = dz/dx . dx/du + dz/dy. dy/du
-Applying multiplication rule ..
d^2z / dv.du = d/dv (dz/dx . dx/du ) + ...
= [d^z/dx^2 . (dx/du)^2 + d^2z /dx.dy * dx/du * dy/du ]+ dz/dx * dx/ du.dv * dv/dx ...

wow, it so messy but it should go like that if not necessarily exactly like above
and you final answer may have some deltas in it

rootX said:
Hootenanny, your solution does not any sense to me >>

Here's how I think it should be done:
z = f(x,y)
x = u+v
y = (u-v)/a

dz/du = dz/dx . dx/du + dz/dy. dy/du
-Applying multiplication rule ..
d^2z / dv.du = d/dv (dz/dx . dx/du ) + ...
= [d^z/dx^2 . (dx/du)^2 + d^2z /dx.dy * dx/du * dy/du ]+ dz/dx * dx/ du.dv * dv/dx ...

wow, it so messy but it should go like that if not necessarily exactly like above
and you final answer may have some deltas in it

z is usually used to denote complex variables, hence I assumed that f(x,y) was complex valued. If f is indeed complex valued then u and v simply represent the real and imaginary parts of the function and the function can be differentiated as I have shown above.

ook thnx.
They never told/made us think that way><
[But thinking either way shouldn't give different answer, right?]

Hootenanny said:
I'm assuming that your function f is complex valued and therefore may be written,

[tex]z = f(x,y) = u + i v = x+ay + i\left(x-ay\right)[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i\frac{\partial z}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow z_x = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(x+ay\right) + i\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(x-ay\right)[/tex]

An similarly for partial derivatives with respect to y. Does that help?

Hi i am struggling too with this same question, http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5736/wathh1.jpg

I have tried to follow what you have said and i get my (d's are partial derivatives) dz/dx = 2. I am unsure if this is correct because just like the problem the other person had with this question, i don't have a z=... (eg z=xy)

1. What is the formula for finding dz/dx without z = u^v?

The formula for finding dz/dx without z = u^v is dz/dx = v*u^(v-1)*du/dx + ln(u)*u^v*ln(u)*dv/dx.

2. How do you find the partial derivative of u^v with respect to x?

To find the partial derivative of u^v with respect to x, you need to use the chain rule. The formula for this is dz/dx = v*u^(v-1)*du/dx + ln(u)*u^v*ln(u)*dv/dx.

3. Can you provide an example of finding dz/dx without z = u^v?

Yes, let's say we have the function z = x^2*y^3. To find the partial derivative of z with respect to x, we would use the formula dz/dx = y^3 + ln(x^2)*x^2*y^3. This would simplify to dz/dx = y^3 + 2xy^3.

4. What is the purpose of finding partial derivatives without z = u^v?

Finding partial derivatives without z = u^v allows us to understand the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization and solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to finding dz/dx without z = u^v?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It may not work for more complex functions or when there are multiple variables in the equation. It is important to understand the assumptions and limitations of using partial derivatives in any given situation.