1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives.

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

First problem: Let [tex]f(x,y) = x-y[/tex] and u = vi+wj. In which direction does the function decrease and increase the most? And what u (all of them) satisfies Duf = 0

Second problem: Let [tex]z = f(x,y)[/tex], where [tex]x = 2s+3t[/tex] and [tex]y = 3s-2t[/tex]. Determine [tex]\partial{z^2}/\partial{s^2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Gradient and the chain rule

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first question in the first problem I've gotten using gradient: increase i-j and decrease -i+j. Am I correct? For the second question all I've gotten so far is (nabla)f(dot)u = 0 = (1-y)v+(x-1)w. Where do I get the second equation to solve both v and w?

Second problem gives me 4zxx+12zxy+9zyy. Is that completely wrong?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you have done so far is correct. For the second part, here's any easy hint: in 2 dimensions, a perpendicular to vector <a, b> is <-b, a>.

For the second problem, [tex]f_s= f_x x+_s+ f_y y_s= 2f_x+ 3f_y[/tex] .
    That applies to any function of x,y so it applies to [tex]f_s[/tex] itself.

[tex]f_{ss}= (f_s)_s= 2(2f_x+ 3f_y)_x+ 3(2f_x+ 3f_y)_y= 4f_{xx}+ 6f_{yx}+ 6f_{xy}+ 9f_yy[/tex]
    and since, for this function, with continuous second derivatives, the mixed derivatives are the same,
    [tex]f_ss= 4f_{xx}+ 12f_{xy}+ 9f_{yy}[/tex]
    exactly as you say.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3
    So I just mark (1-y)w-(x-1)v = 0?

Thank you, I never thought of that and it will make things much easier.

5. Feb 15, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

?? You had already found that the gradient was i- j and you appeared to know that the directional derivative, in the direction of unit vector [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] is the dot product [itex]\nabla f\cdot \vec{v}[/itex]. That will be 0 if and only if the two vectors are orthogonal: the direction in which the derivative is 0 is perpendicular to the gradient vector, i+ j.

6. Feb 16, 2009 #5
    Thank you. This is a new subject for me and my thinking was too complicated. I found that the vector is either [itex]\vec{i}+\vec{j}[/itex] or [itex]-\vec{i}-\vec{j}[/itex].

And I just realized that this function is so simple that I could have found the vectors by giving the function a set value and draw it in 2-dimensions. I know there is a fancy name for that, but I've no idea what it is in English.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook