1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1

Lyn

I am stuck on the question,

'If f is a twice differentiable function of a single variable, find f = z(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) that satisfies d^2z/dx^2 +d^2z/dy^2 = x^2 +y^2

(ALL d's ARE MEANT TO BE PARTIAL DERIVATIVES)

i know dz/dx=(dz/du).(du/dx)
    i can find du/dx but i don't know how to find dz/du

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums Lyn.

HINT: Let u = (x2 + y2)1/2

HINT (2): Using you definition of dz/dx above, can you write down an expression for d2z/dx2?

4. Apr 13, 2009 #3
    Isn't this suppose to be [itex]z=f(\sqrt{x^2+y^2})[/itex] In which f is a twice differentiable function?

5. Apr 13, 2009 #4

Lyn

Thank you for replying.

Yes I have set u=sqrt(x^2+y^2)

Would d^2z/dx^2=d/dx.(dz/dx)?

So far i have dz/dx=(x/u).dz/du but i am unsure of how to find dz/du so i can't carry on my calculation

6. Apr 13, 2009 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't need to find dz/du. Let's just start working though it. We have

[tex]\frac{dz}{dx} = \frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\begin{aligned}
    \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} & = \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{dx}\right) \\
    & =\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}\right)
    \end{aligned}[/tex]

Can you take the next couple of steps?

7. Apr 13, 2009 #6

Lyn

i'm slightly confused. how do i find dz/dx because i don't have an equation with z equal to an equation with x variables?

8. Apr 13, 2009 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter, if you work the problem through you'll find that you don't actually need to know the explicit form of z=z(x,y).

Simply expand the expression in the final line of my previous post.

9. Apr 13, 2009 #8

Lyn

ok i tried to expand your expression, not really sure but i get

d^2z/dx^2=d/dx(dz/du.du/dx)
    =d/dx((dz/dx.dx/du+dz/dy.dy/du).du/dx)

then i could change dz/dx again but then i get a dz/du again and then i keep going round in circles

10. Apr 13, 2009 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not entirely sure what you're doing there. Let me do it for dz/dx,

[tex]\begin{aligned}
    \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} & = \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{dx}\right) \\
    & =\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dz}{du}\frac{du}{dx}\right) \\
    & = \frac{du}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}\frac{dz}{du} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d}{dx}\frac{du}{dx} \\
    & = \frac{du}{dx}\left(\frac{d}{du}\frac{dz}{du}\right)\frac{du}{dx} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d^2u}{dx^2} \\
    & = \left(\frac{du}{dx}\right)^2\frac{d^2 z}{du^2} + \frac{dz}{du}\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}
    \end{aligned}[/tex]

Do you follow?

Can you now do the same for dz/dy?

11. Apr 13, 2009 #10

Lyn

I haven't actually seen expanding like that before, like i don't really get your third line of working and where the addition sign came from but i can follow the rest.

I have done the same for dz/dy

d^2z/dy^2=d/dy(dz/dy)=d/dy(dz/du.du/dy)=d/dy.dz/du.du/dy+dz/du.d/dy.du/dy
    =d^2z/du^2(du/dy)^2+dz/du.d^2u/dy^2

but there is still the problem that i can't work out dz/du. i have a feeling i'm misunderstanding or missing a really important point but i don't know what?

12. Apr 13, 2009 #11

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In going from the second line to the third, I have simply used the product rule since both dz/du and du/dx are functions of x. Does that make sense?
    Good. Don't worry about dz/du, we'll come to that later. So now we have,

[tex]\frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} + \frac{d^2 z}{dx^2} = \left[\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2\right]\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + \left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}\right]\frac{d z}{du}[/tex]

Do you agree?

Note that I have change the ordinary differentials du/dx and du/dx to partial differentials since u is a function of two variables, u=u(x,y). Technically I should have used partial differentials from the start.

13. Apr 13, 2009 #12

Lyn

Yes thank you, up to here i understand. now i just don't see how i can carry on the calculation to get it equal to x^2+y^2 i.e. u^2

14. Apr 13, 2009 #13

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are told in the question that this quantity is equal to u2. So we now have,

[tex]\left[\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)^2\right]\frac{d^2 z}{d u^2} + \left[\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}\right]\frac{d z}{du} = u^2[/tex]

Now it's time for you to do a little work. All that's left for you to do is evaluate the partial derivatives and solve the resulting ODE.

15. Apr 13, 2009 #14

Lyn

ok i think i'm getting there. thenk you so much for all your help, i'll try finish it off now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook