1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivatives

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    Hey,

Little confused by something:

if we have u=x+y and v=xy what is the partial derivative w.r.t. u of

y^2=uy-v

I am told it is 2y (dy/du) = u (dy/du) + y

And I can see where these terms come from. What I don't understand is why there is no (dv/du) term, as v and u aren't independent.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The variables x and y have been exchanged with u and v:They are the independent variables, and y is a function of them, y(u,v).
    Any function f(u,v) have partial derivatives with respect to u and with respect to v, but the derivatives of u or v with respect to each other is zero.

4. Nov 28, 2014 #3
    Definition: A function f is said to be a function of the independent variables (a, b, c) if specifying a, b, c fully determines f (but not overdetermine: i.e. specification of all the three a, b, c are necessary for the determination of f; non-specification of any one of the a, b, c will leave f undetermined). This is our so called 'CONSTRUCTION'. Also, a, b, c are said to be independent variables.

Now, take y^2 be z. Then z=z(u, v, y) - as per the definition above, and all three, i.e. u, v, y are independent (as per above). Don't go by 'u=x+y and v=xy' to conclude that u and v aren't independent.

Also, I don't think it's correct to write y=y(u,v), since specification of u, v doesn't fully determine y (it's a quadratic equation-hence two roots)
    But, y^2=y^2(u, v, y) is correct, since y^2 is fully determined by u, v and y.

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

is it not overdetermined????

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5
    I see. True.
    By the way, can we even legitimately talk of partial derivative of y^2=uy-v wrt u? Before doing that, we I think we should decide our independent variables on which y^2 depends.
    Also, in
    'dy/du' indicates a total derivative, so y should be fully determined by u. But we see, it's not.

7. Nov 29, 2014 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

We could equally well ask: What is the partial derivative of y^2 with repsect to v ?

This general type of confusion often occurs in physics problems. Authors establish a complicated relation between several variables and then write a total differential that seems to be missing some partial derivatives. I conjecture the problem lies in ambiguous notation. The notation y^2 = uy - v does not specify the function y^2 as being a function of particular variables. A correct mathematical definition of a function states a particular domain for a function. A relation like y^2 = uy - v does not.

The "given" information to determine a value of a mathematical function is specified by a vector of values for specific variables. The value of the left hand side of an equation might be determined from a variety of information about the right hand side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook