Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivatives

1. Jun 20, 2005 #1
    hello, i am supposed to use the two variable chain rule to confirm that changing variables from (x,y) to (v,w) with v=x and w=y/x leads to:

\partial{v}=\partial{x} + w\partial{y}
    and \partial{w}=x\partial{y}

it seems to me that the first line should read \partial{v}=\partial{x} = w\partial{y}

is this true? i am a bit rusty on multivariable calculus

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please,use the [ tex ] and [ /tex ] tags (without the spaces,of course).It doesn't make too much sense what you've written there.

Usually [itex] \partial D[/itex] all by himself means the boundary of the domain D.

Daniel.

4. Jun 20, 2005 #3
    for this to make any sense, you need to express it as a function, say [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] and then take derivatives of [itex]f[/itex]

5. Jun 20, 2005 #4
    ok, here is a repost

hello, i am supposed to use the two variable chain rule to confirm that changing variables from (x,y) to (v,w) with v=x and w=y/x leads to:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + w\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/itex]
    and [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial w}=x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex]

it seems to me that the first line should read [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = w\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/itex]

is this true? i am a bit rusty on multivariable calculus

6. Jun 20, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmm

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial v}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+
    \frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial w}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial w}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial w}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

There's no other way to apply the chain rule.

You could put it as well in matrix notation using the Jacobian matrix.

Daniel.

7. Jun 20, 2005 #6
    ok, thanks
    i can see where the first one comes from, but if i apply the chain rule to the second one, i get

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial w}=\frac{-y}{w^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex]

is this correct, or is the original correct?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?