Partial derivatives

hello, i am supposed to use the two variable chain rule to confirm that changing variables from (x,y) to (v,w) with v=x and w=y/x leads to:

\partial{v}=\partial{x} + w\partial{y}
and \partial{w}=x\partial{y}

it seems to me that the first line should read \partial{v}=\partial{x} = w\partial{y}

is this true? i am a bit rusty on multivariable calculus

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Please,use the [ tex ] and [ /tex ] tags (without the spaces,of course).It doesn't make too much sense what you've written there.

Usually [itex] \partial D[/itex] all by himself means the boundary of the domain D.

Daniel.

fishingtreeing said:
hello, i am supposed to use the two variable chain rule to confirm that changing variables from (x,y) to (v,w) with v=x and w=y/x leads to:

\partial{v}=\partial{x} + w\partial{y}
and \partial{w}=x\partial{y}

it seems to me that the first line should read \partial{v}=\partial{x} = w\partial{y}

for this to make any sense, you need to express it as a function, say [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] and then take derivatives of [itex]f[/itex]

ok, here is a repost

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + w\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/itex]
and [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial w}=x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex]

it seems to me that the first line should read [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = w\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/itex]

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Hmmm

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial v}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+
\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial w}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial w}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial w}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

There's no other way to apply the chain rule.

You could put it as well in matrix notation using the Jacobian matrix.

Daniel.

ok, thanks
i can see where the first one comes from, but if i apply the chain rule to the second one, i get

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial w}=\frac{-y}{w^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex]

is this correct, or is the original correct?

Last edited: