Partial Derivatives: Chain Rule Confirmation

In summary, changing variables from (x,y) to (v,w) with v=x and w=y/x leads to:\frac{\partial}{\partial v}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + w\frac{\partial}{\partial y}and \frac{\partial}{\partial w}=x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}
fishingtreeing
hello, i am supposed to use the two variable chain rule to confirm that changing variables from (x,y) to (v,w) with v=x and w=y/x leads to:

\partial{v}=\partial{x} + w\partial{y}
and \partial{w}=x\partial{y}

it seems to me that the first line should read \partial{v}=\partial{x} = w\partial{y}

is this true? i am a bit rusty on multivariable calculus

Physics news on Phys.org
Please,use the [ tex ] and [ /tex ] tags (without the spaces,of course).It doesn't make too much sense what you've written there.

Usually [itex] \partial D[/itex] all by himself means the boundary of the domain D.

Daniel.

fishingtreeing said:
hello, i am supposed to use the two variable chain rule to confirm that changing variables from (x,y) to (v,w) with v=x and w=y/x leads to:

\partial{v}=\partial{x} + w\partial{y}
and \partial{w}=x\partial{y}

it seems to me that the first line should read \partial{v}=\partial{x} = w\partial{y}

for this to make any sense, you need to express it as a function, say [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] and then take derivatives of [itex]f[/itex]

ok, here is a repost

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + w\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/itex]
and [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial w}=x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex]

it seems to me that the first line should read [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = w\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/itex]

Hmmm

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial v}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+
\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial w}=\frac{\partial x}{\partial w}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial y}{\partial w}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} [/tex]

There's no other way to apply the chain rule.

You could put it as well in matrix notation using the Jacobian matrix.

Daniel.

ok, thanks
i can see where the first one comes from, but if i apply the chain rule to the second one, i get

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial w}=\frac{-y}{w^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} + x\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex]

is this correct, or is the original correct?

Last edited:

1. What is the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is a formula used to find the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function with respect to the variable of interest.

2. How do you confirm the chain rule for partial derivatives?

The chain rule for partial derivatives can be confirmed by taking the partial derivatives of the composite function and comparing it to the product of the partial derivatives of the individual functions. If they are equal, then the chain rule is confirmed.

3. Can the chain rule for partial derivatives be applied to any function?

Yes, the chain rule for partial derivatives can be applied to any function that is a composition of two or more functions. It is a fundamental rule in calculus and is used to find the derivatives of many complex functions.

4. Why is the chain rule for partial derivatives important?

The chain rule for partial derivatives is important because it allows us to find the derivatives of more complicated functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This is useful in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering where functions can be very complex.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using the chain rule for partial derivatives?

Yes, common mistakes when using the chain rule for partial derivatives include forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the outer function and incorrectly applying the chain rule when there are multiple variables. It is important to carefully follow the steps and double check your work to avoid these errors.