Partial Derivatives Homework: w(u,v)=f(u)+g(v)

In summary: ChetIn summary, the given equation is showing that the second derivative of w with respect to t is equal to a squared times the second derivative of w with respect to x. However, there were some mistakes in the attempt at a solution, particularly in the calculation of the partial derivatives of w with respect to t and x. After fixing these mistakes and applying the chain rule correctly, the equation is proven to be true.
ilyas.h

Homework Statement

let

w(u,v) = f(u) + g(v)

u(x,t) = x - at
v(x,t) = x + at

show that:

[tex]\frac{\partial ^{2}w}{\partial t^{2}} = a^{2}\frac{\partial ^{2}w}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

w(x-at, x+at) = f(x-at) + g(x+at)

[itex]\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\frac{\partial w}{\partial t})[/itex]

[itex](\frac{\partial w}{\partial t}) = \frac{\partial w}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}=f'(u) = f'(x-at)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=-a[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = -af'(x-at)[/itex]I don't know where to go from here. I'm not even sure if what I've done is correct, I don't know how to properly approach this question.

thanks for any guidance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take it step by step.

First take the left hand side of what you want to prove, that is, the second derivative of w with respect to t.

Next, do the same with the other side, that is find the second derivative of w with respect to x.

(This step like the step before this will need you do some differentiation using the chain rule)

Once here, you can equate both these equations which will be what you set out to prove.

NOTE: you were on the right track with taking the partial derivative of w w.r.t t but I think you forgot g(v) = g(x+at)

Last edited:
ilyas.h said:

Homework Statement

let

w(u,v) = f(u) + g(u)

I think you meant: w(u,v) = f(u) + g(v)

u(x,t) = x - at
v(x,t) = x + at

show that:

[tex]\frac{\partial ^{2}w}{\partial t^{2}} = a^{2}\frac{\partial ^{2}w}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

w(x-at, x+at) = f(x-at) + g(x+at)

[itex]\frac{\partial }{\partial t}(\frac{\partial w}{\partial t})[/itex]

[itex](\frac{\partial w}{\partial t}) = \frac{\partial w}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/itex]

You mean:

[itex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial w}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} [/itex].

Stephen Tashi said:
I think you meant: w(u,v) = f(u) + g(v)
You mean:

[itex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial w}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} [/itex].

I tried caltulating the individual components and I did what titas.b said to do. It didn't workout when I tried to show each side is equal.

for example, how would you do partial w/ partial u? is that equal to f'(u)? maybe my individual compenents are incorrect.

ilyas.h said:
for example, how would you do partial w/ partial u? is that equal to f'(u)?

Yes, or you can denote it [itex] \frac{df}{du} [/itex].

maybe my individual compenents are incorrect.

We can't comment on that unless you show what you did.

Stephen Tashi said:
Yes, or you can denote it [itex] \frac{df}{du} [/itex].
We can't comment on that unless you show what you did.

[itex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}[/itex].

[itex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial u} = f'(u)[/itex].

[itex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial v} = g'(v)[/itex].

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}=-a[/itex].

[itex]\frac{\partial v}{\partial t}=a[/itex].

[itex]\therefore \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = a(g'(x+at) - f'(x-at))[/itex].
[itex]\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial w}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial w}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex].

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}=1[/itex].

[itex]\therefore \frac{\partial w}{\partial x}=f'(x-at)+g'(x+at)[/itex].[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}w}{\partial t^{2}}=a(g''(x+at)-f''(x-at))[/itex].

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}w}{\partial x^{2}}=g''(x+at)+f''(x-at)[/itex].

we want to show that:

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}w}{\partial t^{2}}= a^{2}\frac{\partial^{2}w}{\partial x^{2}}[/itex].
plug in and manipulate and you'll find that it doesn't work.

Check your differentiation for w with respect to t for the second order. Everything else seems to be fine

titasB said:
Check your differentiation for w with respect to t for the second order. Everything else seems to be fine

I realized my mistake. I rewrote f'(u) as partial f/partial u, and I saw my mistake when taking the 2nd derivative (it was more clear).

However, it STILL doesn't work.

ilyas.h said:
[itex]\therefore \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = a(g'(x+at) - f'(x-at))[/itex].

The following equation is where you made your mistake.
[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}w}{\partial t^{2}}=a(g''(x+at)-f''(x-at))[/itex].
You make a couple of mistakes in arriving at your final result. Please try again, and try to be more careful with the calculus and algebra.

Chet

Chestermiller said:

You make a couple of mistakes in arriving at your final result. Please try again, and try to be more careful with the calculus and algebra.

Chet
Chestermiller said:

Chet

yes I know. I fixed it. I rewrote f'(u) as partial f/partial u and I treated it as multiplication with the partial derivatives. You should end up with two different partials at the bottom.

if you plug it in I don't know how to show LHS = RHS.

ilyas.h said:
yes I know. I fixed it. I rewrote f'(u) as partial f/partial u and I treated it as multiplication with the partial derivatives. You should end up with two different partials at the bottom.

if you plug it in I don't know how to show LHS = RHS.
I get the following:

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}w}{\partial t^{2}}=a^2(g''(x+at)+f''(x-at))[/itex]

Compare this with what you got to see where you went wrong.

Chet

ilyas.h said:
[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}w}{\partial t^{2}}=a(g''(x+at)-f''(x-at))[/itex].

You seem to have computed the derivative of [itex] g'(x + at) [/itex] with respect to [itex] t [/itex] as [itex]g''(x + at) [/itex]. That derivative requires the chain rule. It would be [itex] a\ g''(x + at) [/itex]. The derivative of [itex] f'(x - at) [/itex] also requires using the chain rule: [itex] D_t ( f'(x - at)) = f'(v) \frac{dv}{dt} [/itex]

1. What is the purpose of finding partial derivatives in this homework?

The purpose of finding partial derivatives in this homework is to better understand how changes in one variable affect the overall function, and to be able to calculate rates of change in a multi-variable function.

2. Can you explain how to find the partial derivative of w with respect to u?

To find the partial derivative of w with respect to u, you would hold the variable v constant and treat it as a constant in the function. Then, you would take the derivative of f(u) with respect to u, since it is the only variable remaining in the function w(u,v).

3. How do I find the partial derivative of w with respect to v?

To find the partial derivative of w with respect to v, you would hold the variable u constant and treat it as a constant in the function. Then, you would take the derivative of g(v) with respect to v, since it is the only variable remaining in the function w(u,v).

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is the rate of change of a single variable function, while a partial derivative is the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

5. How can I use partial derivatives to solve real-world problems?

Partial derivatives can be used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to analyze and optimize multi-variable functions. For example, in physics, they can be used to determine the rate of change of a physical quantity with respect to different variables, and in economics, they can be used to find the optimal production levels for a company.