1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Derivatives

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-11-8_20-24-17.png

So I know I have to take the derivative with respect to x, then respect to y, then respect to z, but I am not getting the right answer. I know that the answer is 0 and my professor did it with very few steps that I do not understand. Can someone please guide me through it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2
    The trick is to recognize that the partial derivative is a linear operator, that is, the partial derivative of a sum is equal to the sum of the partial derivatives of the individual terms:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( f + g \right) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial g}{\partial x} [/tex]
    Try splitting ##f(x,y,z)## into two parts, take the partial derivatives separately and see where that leads you.

4. Nov 8, 2016 #3
    So if I take the partial derivative wrt x and the result has no x term what does that mean?

5. Nov 8, 2016 #4
    Could you provide an explicit example of what you're trying to ask?

6. Nov 8, 2016 #5
    So I split the function like you said and I got xln(y100+37z11 / xz rad(y2+1 and when I take the partial derivative of that term wrt x, x is no longer in that term

7. Nov 8, 2016 #6
    The partial derivative means to take all other variables as constants - what happens when you differentiate a constant?

8. Nov 8, 2016 #7
    I did take the other variables as constant. I'm saying that by keeping everything constant but x, the x term differentiates to 1 if you look at the function.

9. Nov 8, 2016 #8
    How does it "differentiate to ##1##"? Take a closer look at it:
    [tex]\frac{x \ln(y^{100} + 37z^{11})}{x z \sqrt{y^2 +1}} = \frac{\ln(y^{100} + 37z^{11})}{z \sqrt{y^2 +1}} [/tex]
    is independent of ##x##. So what happens when you take the partial derivative wrt ##x##?

10. Nov 8, 2016 #9
    Isn't that what you would get if you differentiate with respect to x?

11. Nov 8, 2016 #10
    No, I haven't differentiated - take a closer look: all I did was to divide both the numerator and denominator by ##x##.

12. Nov 8, 2016 #11
    So that differentiates to 0 then

13. Nov 8, 2016 #12
    Yup. Now look at the second term and see if you notice something similar.

14. Nov 8, 2016 #13
    So for the second term, differentiating to z is 0 as well

15. Nov 8, 2016 #14
    Yup. So immediately we conclude that ##f_{xyz}## is indeed ##0##.

16. Nov 8, 2016 #15
    But we haven't taken the partial derivative wrt y. Don't you have to go in order taking the partial derivative of x, y, then z?

17. Nov 8, 2016 #16
    For a suitably well-behaved function, it doesn't matter - as the hint to the question itself explicitly says. Even if you wanted to "go in order", notice that if I had a function that depends only on ##x## and ##y## but not ##z##, when I perform the partial derivatives wrt ##x## and ##y##, I will still end up with a result that is independent of ##z## i.e. I won't have a ##z## suddenly appearing in my expression. So in the end, when I take the partial derivative wrt ##z##, it will still be ##0##.

18. Nov 8, 2016 #17
    I think my confusion lies in splitting the function into two parts. So for the first part of the function differentiating wrt x gives 0 but that's not the case for the second part of the function. Why do I ignore that second part for x?

19. Nov 8, 2016 #18
    Like, wouldn't I differentiate the entire function in terms of x?

20. Nov 8, 2016 #19
    What we are actually doing by splitting is to evaluate separately and then add the result together.
    Suppose we split a function ##f(x,y,z)## into two parts, say
    [tex]f(x,y,z) = g(x,y,z) + h(x,y,z)[/tex]
    Then, because partial derivation is linear, we have
    [tex]f_{xyz} = g_{xyz} + h_{xyz}[/tex]
    so we can find ##g_{xyz}## and ##h_{xyz}## separately and combine the results to get ##f_{xyz}##.

21. Nov 8, 2016 #20
    Ohh ok I got it now. Thank you so much for bearing with me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted