1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial diff eqn problem

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the substitution x=es, y=et converts f(x,y) into g(s,t) where g(s,t)=f(es, et). If f is known to satisfy the partial differential equation

x2(d2f/dx2) + y2(d2f/dy2) + x(df/dx) + y(df/dy) = 0

show that g satisfies the partial-differential equation

(d2g/ds2) + (d2g/dt2) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel like this is a simple problem - All I need to figure out is how to find the partial derivative of f(x,y) and the double partial derivative, but I'm not sure how to do it. Are the values of x and y relevant for the first part of the question?

what would df/dx be? D1f(x,y) = (y)f'(x,y) by the chain rule? and similarly df/dy = D2f(x,y) = (x)f'(x,y)? Someone please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i assume they're meant to be partials... & I dont really understand what you've written at the end of the post but here's some ideas I hope help

now as you're given
    [tex] x(s)=e^s[/tex]
    [tex] y(t)=e^t[/tex]

invert these and then re-write as
    [tex] s(x)=ln(s)[/tex]
    [tex] t(y)=ln(y)[/tex]

so the relation function g & f is given as
    [tex] g(s,t) = f(x(s), y(t)) [/tex]

we can re-write it and think of it as
    [tex] f(x,y) = g(s(x), t(y)) [/tex]

now try taking a partial w.r.t x and using the chain rule on the RHS

[tex] \frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\pratial x} = \frac{\partial }{\partial x} g(s(x), t(y)) [/tex]
    the partial w.r.t. x means the other variable (y) in this case is kept constant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook