Why is the method of characteristics used to solve this PDE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to the equation xUx+yUy=nu, which is u(x,y)=xnf(y/x), and how the xn term comes into play. The method of characteristics is suggested as the correct approach for solving this type of equation.
chaotixmonjuish
I borrowed this book form the library to get a heads up on what i would be doing in PDEs and it had this equation

xUx+yUy=nu

and its solution (according to the back) is: u(x,y)=xnf(y/x)

I did figure out the f(y/x) part:

dx/x=dy/y
ln(x)+c=ln(y)
cx+y
c=y/x

how did the xn come into play

Physics news on Phys.org
My attempt at a solution yielded a yn. I don't believe that is wrong, but I am wondering why they are multiplied together instead of added.

You ofcourse can check your or the book's answer by plugging it back to the equation.
I think that there is no easy way here, the mathematician who find these equations knew already what solution he was seeking and just played with its derivatives to get to this equation.
I don't have time to check your work, but have you plugged your answers back to the eqaution to check that it's valid?

chaotixmonjuish said:
I borrowed this book form the library to get a heads up on what i would be doing in PDEs and it had this equation

xUx+yUy=nu

and its solution (according to the back) is: u(x,y)=xnf(y/x)

I did figure out the f(y/x) part:

dx/x=dy/y
ln(x)+c=ln(y)
cx+y
c=y/x

how did the xn come into play
The form of the question suggests that you should use the method of characteristics (see http://www.stanford.edu/class/math220a/handouts/firstorder.pdf" for more information). Note that the method you have used above to find the characteristics is not generally correct and it is just by 'chance' that you have arrived at the correct characteristic equation (c=y/x).

The link I provided above should give you everything you need, if not, I suggest reading the preceeding chapter of your book.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a Partial Differential Equation?

A Partial Differential Equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its partial derivatives, and is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some examples of Partial Differential Equations?

Some common examples of PDEs include the heat equation, wave equation, and Laplace's equation. These equations are used to model heat transfer, wave propagation, and electrostatics, respectively.

What are the differences between Ordinary Differential Equations and Partial Differential Equations?

The main difference between ODEs and PDEs is that ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. In other words, ODEs describe the behavior of a single variable, while PDEs describe the behavior of a function in multiple variables.

What are the applications of Partial Differential Equations?

PDEs have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, finance, and biology. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, population dynamics, and financial markets.

What are some methods for solving Partial Differential Equations?

There are several methods for solving PDEs, including separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and numerical techniques. The choice of method depends on the type of PDE and the specific problem being solved.