Partial differential equation

In summary, the given problem involves solving the equation ux = 2*uy with the given boundary condition u(0,y) = e^(-y). By using separation of variables, we obtain two separate equations for X(x) and Y(y), and for different values of λ, we get different solutions. The general solution for the given problem is u(x,y) = e^(λx - y) + e^(-3λx - y), where λ can take on any value (positive or negative).
Jncik

Homework Statement

solve

ux = 2*uy when u(0,y) = e^(-y)

The Attempt at a Solution

this my attempt

using separation of variables I get

X'(x) - 2 λ X(x) = 0
Y'(y) - 2 λ Y(y) = 0

now I have to figure out for different λs what's happening

so

for λ = 0 I get X'(x) = 0 hence X(x) = A where A is a constant

also Y'(y) = 0 hence Y(y) = B where B is a constant

this gives us a solution C = BA where u(x,y) = C

now from the boundary conditions we have u(0,y) = e^(-y) => C = e^(-y)

hence u(x,y) = e^(-y)

for λ>0 I get a solution X(x) = A e^(λ x) and Y(y) = B e^(λx)

from the boundary conditions I get AB = e^(-y) hence

u(x,t) = e^(λx - y)

for λ<0 I have the same thing as for λ>0 but a solution u(x,t) = e^(-y) * e^(-3 λ x)

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt at solving the given problem is mostly correct. However, there are a few errors and areas of improvement that can be made. Let's go through them one by one:

1. Separation of variables: In your attempt, you correctly separate the given equation into two separate equations with respect to x and y. However, the notation you use is a bit confusing. Instead of using X'(x) and Y'(y), it would be better to use u'(x) and v'(y) to represent the derivatives of the functions X(x) and Y(y).

2. Boundary conditions: You correctly apply the given boundary condition u(0,y) = e^(-y) to find the value of C. However, in your solution, you have written u(x,y) = e^(-y), which is not correct. The correct solution should be u(x,y) = e^(-y) * X(x) * Y(y).

3. Solutions for different λ values: For λ = 0, your solution is correct. However, for λ > 0, the solution should be u(x,y) = e^(λx - y). Also, for λ < 0, the solution should be u(x,y) = e^(-3λx - y). This can be easily verified by substituting these solutions back into the original equation.

4. General solution: Your solution for the general case is close, but not entirely correct. The correct general solution should be u(x,y) = e^(λx - y) + e^(-3λx - y), where λ can take on any value (positive or negative).

Overall, your attempt at solving the given problem is good, but there are a few areas that can be improved upon. Keep practicing and you'll get better at solving these types of problems. Good luck!

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model physical phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

While ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Additionally, the derivatives in a partial differential equation can be partial derivatives, while ordinary differential equations only have ordinary derivatives.

3. What are some common methods for solving partial differential equations?

There are various methods for solving PDEs, such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and numerical methods like finite element and finite volume methods. The choice of method depends on the specific PDE and its boundary conditions.

4. What are some real-world applications of partial differential equations?

PDEs are used in many fields to model and solve problems. They are commonly used in physics to describe the behavior of physical systems, in engineering to analyze and design structures and processes, and in finance to model stock prices and interest rates.

5. What is the importance of boundary conditions in solving partial differential equations?

Boundary conditions specify the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the domain. They are crucial in solving PDEs as they help determine a unique solution. Without appropriate boundary conditions, the solution may not be physically meaningful or may not exist at all.