Partial differential equations

In summary, partial differential equations (PDEs) are mathematical equations used to model physical phenomena and describe how a system changes over time and space. They involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives and are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. The main difference between PDEs and ordinary differential equations (ODEs) is that PDEs involve multiple independent variables while ODEs only involve one. Some common methods for solving PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical methods. PDEs have a wide range of real-life applications, such as modeling heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and stock prices. However, they have limitations, such as only being applicable to systems described by continuous functions and
Tony11235
Does anybody know of any decent books on PDEs? I'm looking for one that has a good amount of solved problems. I really need one. My class is using Yehuda Pinchover and Jacab Rubinstein's An Introduction to Partial Differential Equations. It's just not enough for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well..I decided to buy Applied Partial Differential Equations by Richard Haberman. My teacher recommended it. Any opinions on this book?

Another good choice...

1. What are partial differential equations (PDEs)?

Partial differential equations are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to model physical phenomena and describe how a system changes over time and space. PDEs are often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation is that PDEs involve multiple independent variables, while ODEs only involve one independent variable. This means that PDEs describe how a system changes in both time and space, while ODEs only describe how a system changes over time.

3. What are some common methods for solving partial differential equations?

Some common methods for solving partial differential equations include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and its boundary conditions.

4. What are some real-life applications of partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are used to model physical processes such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and wave propagation. PDEs are also used in economics to model stock prices and in biology to study population dynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial differential equations?

While partial differential equations are powerful tools for modeling complex systems, they do have some limitations. They can only be applied to systems that can be described by continuous functions, and the equations themselves can be difficult to solve analytically. Additionally, PDEs may not accurately capture all aspects of a system, leading to discrepancies between model predictions and real-world observations.