1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial DIfferential Equations

1. Oct 29, 2005 #1
    Solve using separation of variables and find particular solution
    [tex] \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - u = 0 \ for\ 0 <x<1, t >0 [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} (x,0) = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] 0,t) = u(1,t) = 0 [/tex]
    to assume u(x,t) = X(x) T(t)
    then [tex] \frac{X''}{X} = \frac{T'' - T}{T} = \lambda [/tex]
    solving for X(x) yields [tex] X(x) = C_{1} \cos{\sqrt{\lambda} x} + C_{2} \sin{\sqrt{\lambda} x} [/tex]
    and i get C1 = 0 and C2 assumed to be 1 and [itex] \lambda = \sqrt{n \pi} [/itex]
    now for T(t),
    [tex] T'' - (1 + n^2 pi^2) T = 0 [/tex]
    now here is where i am stuck...
    is the answer just the
    [tex] C_{1} \cos{\sqrt{1 + n^2 \pi^2} t}+ C_{2} \sin{\sqrt{1 + n^2 \pi^2} t} [/tex]
    i'm not quite sure what to do after this
    the answer in my book is [tex] \cos{\sqrt{n^2 \pi^2 -1}} t} \sin (n \pi x) [/tex]
    i got the x part right... but what about the t part

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi stunner5000pt,

Sorry, I got all confused there, and I read your differential equation backwards. Your problem is simply that [tex] \lambda < 0 [/tex] in order to obtain sines and cosines and meet the boundary condition for the x part. In reality, you should have [tex] - \lambda = n^2 \pi^2 [/tex] and not [tex] \lambda = n^2 \pi^2 [/tex].

Once you have solved the t part, apply the boundary condition you haven't used yet.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  4. Oct 29, 2005 #3
    the DE is
    [tex] \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - u = 0 [/tex]

2 negative signs

what is wrong with the equation?

5. Oct 29, 2005 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, my fault, I read it as
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} - \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2} - u = 0,
    [/tex]
    and then realized my mistake as I was thinking about the solution.

6. Oct 29, 2005 #5
    uh.. the t part was the part at which i was stuck.

the condition given is [tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} (x,0) = 0 [/tex]
    im not quite sure howto relate this to what i have already...

7. Oct 29, 2005 #6

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First, as I said, your general solution to the t part in your first post is incorrect, it should be
    [tex]
    T(t) = C_1 \sin{(\sqrt{n^2 \pi^2 -1} \,t )} + C_2 \cos{(\sqrt{n^2 \pi^2 - 1}\, t)}
    [/tex]
    Now, regarding the boundary condition, what do you mean you don't know how to relate it to what you have? Just take the derivative of [tex] u(x,t) = X(x)T(t) [/tex] with respect to t and set it equal to zero for t=0.

8. Oct 29, 2005 #7
    why should the generla solution for T be that?

9. Oct 29, 2005 #8

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Read my post 2 above, and try to figure it out.

10. Oct 30, 2005 #9
    so why should [itex] - \lambda = n^2 \pi^2 [/itex]
    i m not sure about the 'conditions on the x part' to which you are referring. And wouldnt the solution become imaginary if that was the case?

11. Oct 30, 2005 #10

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the solution to
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2 X}{dx^2} = \lambda,
    [/tex]
    isn't it
    [tex]
    X = C_1 e^{\sqrt{\lambda} x} + C_2 e^{-\sqrt{\lambda} x}.
    [/tex]
    you get real exponentials and not real sines and cosines if [tex] \lambda > 0 [/tex]. If you try applying the boundary conditions with real exponentials then you find [tex] C_1 = C_2 = 0 [/tex]. Take it from here.

12. Oct 30, 2005 #11
    i get it now lambda mustb e imaginary iof you are going to use Eler's identity and expand E into cos and sin. ANd thus carries onto the T(t) part where C1-0 and C2 =1 and the solution is what appears in the book

thank you for your help! I appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?