How do I solve for partial differentiation in multivariable calculus?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the partial derivatives of z with respect to x, theta, and r. The correct answers are: - Partial derivative of z with respect to x at constant y is 2x.- Partial derivative of z with respect to theta at constant x is 2r^2*tan(theta).- Partial derivative of z with respect to r at constant y is 2r.- Partial derivative of z with respect to r at constant theta is also 2r. The conversation also discusses different methods for finding the derivatives, including using the chain rule and rewriting z as a function of x and theta. In the end, it is determined that the original method used is correct.
UbikPkd
Ok here goes...

[tex]z=x^{2}+y^{2} [/tex]

[tex]x=rcos\vartheta[/tex]

[tex]y=r sin\vartheta[/tex]

Find:

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}_{y},
\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial

\vartheta}_{x},
\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}_{y},
\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}_{

\vartheta},
[/tex]

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}_{y}

= 2x [/tex]

this seems right to me (though I'm not

sure if I'm supposed to use a chain rule),

it's the next ones I'm not sure about...

[tex]

\vartheta}_{x}= [/tex]

I've been at this one for hours, i think i

can use the following, but I'm getting

nowhere.

[tex] dz= \[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial

x}_{y}dx + \[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial

y}_{x}dy[/tex]

[tex] dx= \[ \frac{\partial x}{\partial

r}_{\vartheta}dr + \[ \frac{\partial

x}{\partial \vartheta}_{r}d\vartheta[/tex]

[tex] dy= \[ \frac{\partial y}{\partial

y}{\partial \vartheta}_{r}d\vartheta[/tex]

so...

[tex] dz= \[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial

x}_{y} \left[\[ \frac{\partial x}{\partial

x}{\partial

\vartheta}_{r}d\vartheta\right]+ \[

\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}_{x}\left[\[

\frac{\partial y}{\partial

y}{\partial

\vartheta}_{r}d\vartheta\right][/tex]

can i divide through by [tex] \partial

\vartheta_{x}[/tex] and then work it all

out to get
[tex]

\vartheta}_{x} [/tex] ?

please help, i don't have a clue what I'm

doing! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
The direct way to do this is to simply write z as a function only of x and theta. This is pretty easy, since y/x=tan(theta). Try it that way before you go back to struggling with the chain rule.

okay thanks for the tip, i worked it out using chain rules in the end before i got to read it, the answers i got were:

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}_{y}=2x[/tex]

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}=0[/tex]

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}_{y}=2r[/tex]

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}_{\vartheta}=2r

[/tex]

I think these are right, thanks for your help!

Well, e.g. for the second one, y/x=tan(theta), so z=x^2+x^2*tan^2(theta). It doesn't look to me like the derivative wrt theta at constant x is 0.

Dick said:
Well, e.g. for the second one, y/x=tan(theta), so z=x^2+x^2*tan^2(theta). It doesn't look to me like the derivative wrt theta at constant x is 0.

sorry! arghh I've made such a mess of this, yer the last two are right, as [tex]z=r^2[/tex] so it doesn't matter what's being held constant

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}=2r^{2}tan\vartheta[/tex]

not 0, sorry, here's my full working:

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}=2y\[ \frac{\partial y}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}[/tex]

_________

[tex]y=rsin\vartheta[/tex]

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial y}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}=rcos\vartheta+\[ \frac{\partial r}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}sin\vartheta[/tex]

________

[tex]x=rcos\vartheta[/tex]

[tex]0=-rsin\vartheta+\[ \frac{\partial r}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}cos\vartheta[/tex]

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial r}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}=r\[ \frac{sinv}{cos\vartheta}=rtan\vartheta[/tex]

________

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}=2y(rcos\vartheta+rsin\vartheta tan\vartheta)[/tex]

[tex]\[ \frac{\partial z}{\partial \vartheta}_{x}=2r^{2}\frac{sin\vartheta}{cos\vartheta}=2r^{2}tan\vartheta[/tex]

I did it that way, as I thought differentiating via the [tex] tan^{2}\vartheta[/tex] way would probably go wrong for me somehow! I think the above is OK, seems like that's the way they want me to do it as well. Thanks for your help!

Doing it the other way gives you 2x^2*sin(theta)/cos^3(theta), which if you put x=r*cos(theta) gives you the same thing you got. So I think your answer is right.

Dick said:
Doing it the other way gives you 2x^2*sin(theta)/cos^3(theta), which if you put x=r*cos(theta) gives you the same thing you got. So I think your answer is right.

cool thanks!

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to calculate how a function changes with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is often used in multivariable calculus to analyze the behavior of functions with multiple variables.

2. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation allows us to understand how a function changes in response to changes in one variable, while keeping all other variables constant. This is useful in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering, where functions often depend on multiple variables.

3. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Ordinary differentiation calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while partial differentiation calculates the rate of change with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. In other words, partial differentiation takes into account the effects of all other variables on the function, while ordinary differentiation does not.

4. What is the process of partial differentiation?

The process of partial differentiation involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to one variable, while treating all other variables as constants. This is done by differentiating each term in the function separately and keeping track of the variable being differentiated.

5. When is partial differentiation used in real life?

Partial differentiation is used in various fields where functions depend on multiple variables, such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, partial differentiation is used to study the relationships between multiple variables in complex systems, such as thermodynamics and fluid dynamics.