1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial differentiation

1. Jan 8, 2007 #1
    Iv forgotten the basics of this. How do we go about differentiating 3x^2 y^2 w.r.t y? I know the answer is 3x^2 y^2 but could someone explain this for me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You want to perform [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(3x^2y^2)[/tex].

You would simply treat the function of x as a constant and differentiate y normally, thus yielding [itex]6x^2y[/itex].

However, this is not what your answer is, so I wonder whether it is the correct question?

4. Jan 8, 2007 #3
    ooops im getting myself all confused now. I know how to do partial differentiation after all. I was reading the wrong solution as the question was z = x^2 y^2 and ofcourse dz/dy would = 3x^2 y^2 !!

5. Jan 8, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Erm.. no it wouldn't.

Unless you mean z=x2y3, in which case, dz/dy would be the answer you quoted.

6. Jan 8, 2007 #5
    i need some sleep!! Yeah i meant y^3 lol !

7. Jan 8, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Its a big warning flag when the derivative is equal to the original function and doesn't involve e in it....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?