Partial Differentiation: How Do You Differentiate Arc Tangent Terms?

In summary, the conversation discussed differentiating arc tan terms and treating variables as constants when doing partial differentiation. An example was provided for clarification and the attachment containing the question was mentioned. The conversation ended with a clarification on the chain rule.
andrew.c
I was working through this problem,

I understand the method, but got stuck trying to differentiate the arc tan terms...

In the table of standard derivatives,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \arctan{x} = \frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

and for PDE's, you treat y as constant when differentiating w.r.t. x

---

Any help greatly appreciated!
:)

Attachments

• ae2vquestion.JPG
    ae2vquestion.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
andrew.c said:
I was working through this problem,

I understand the method, but got stuck trying to differentiate the arc tan terms...

In the table of standard derivatives,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \arctan{x} = \frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

and for PDE's, you treat y as constant when differentiating w.r.t. x

---

Any help greatly appreciated!
:)
When you are doing partial differentiation, you treat each variable as independent from the others. So when you find the partial of your function w.r.t. x, say, you treat y as a constant.

I get that - if you could have a look at my attachment, that has the question in it :)

Suppose you had u = u(x, y) = x2tan-1(y/x), just to make it easier for me to type this in.

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}~=~2x~tan^{-1}(y/x)~+~x^2~\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(tan^{-1}(y/x)\right)[/tex]
[tex]=~2x~tan^{-1}(y/x)~+~x^2~\frac{1}{1 + (y/x)^2}~\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex]
For that last partial, you have what amounts to y*d/dx(1/x^2) = -y/x.

Clear?

Yeah, I just missed a bit of chain-rule didn't I?
Thanks for the help :)

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

In ordinary differentiation, we find the rate of change of a function with respect to a single variable. In partial differentiation, we find the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant.

3. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering, as it allows us to analyze the behavior of a system with multiple variables and determine how changes in one variable affect the overall system.

4. How is partial differentiation used in real-world applications?

Partial differentiation is used in many real-world applications, such as optimizing production processes, predicting market trends, and analyzing the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in fields like machine learning and data science to understand and manipulate complex data sets.

5. Are there any limitations to partial differentiation?

Yes, partial differentiation may not always be applicable in situations where the variables are not independent, or when the function is not continuous or differentiable. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of partial differentiation before applying it to a problem.