1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial differentiation

1. Mar 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/itex] if:
    [tex]f(x,y) = \begin{cases}x^2\frac{\sin y}{y}, & y\neq 0\\0, &y=0 \end{cases}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If [itex]y\neq 0 [/itex], then it's simple, but I get confused about the second part. How can I exactly utilize the limit definition of a derivative when I'm told that y=0?
    [tex]f_x = \frac{\sin y}{y}\lim_{t\to 0}\frac{(x+t)^2 - x^2}{t} = 2x\frac{\sin y}{y}[/tex]. If y = 0 can I say that [itex]\frac{\sin y}{y} = 1[/itex] since that would be the limit as y approaches 0, but y is already fixed at 0. Does the partial derivative not exist if y = 0?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow! You weren't kidding when you said you're confused.

Since you want to find ∂f(x,y) / ∂x, then y is treated as a constant, so it is irrelevant what the limit of sin(y)/y is.

4. Mar 12, 2015 #3
    And I am treating it as a constant. When the arguments are taken only on the x-axis I would say that the derivative is [itex]\frac{0}{0}2x [/itex], which is gibberish and leads me to believe that the function is not partially differentiable with respect to x when y=0. Is this conclusion correct, incorrect and/or incomplete?

5. Mar 12, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since f(x,y) = 0 when y = 0, then what is ∂ 0 / ∂x ? Remember, f(x,y) = 0 when y = 0 presumably holds for any and all values of x.

6. Mar 12, 2015 #5
    Oh right, I am dumb. It's 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted