Partial Differentiation: What is the Chain Rule and How to Work It Out?

• Thread starter Zurtex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary: Thanks for clearing that up for me!In summary, due to missed lectures on partial differentiation, I am having a hard time figuring out how to do the chain rule. My friend tells me that the chain rule can be figured out by using the formula I gave him, but I am still unsure. Additionally, I was wondering what the F_{xy} and F_{yx} in Clairaut's theorem mean. Lastly, I asked if Clairaut's theorem always holds, to which my friend replied that it does not always hold.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi hi, due to no fault of my own I have ended up missing 2 of my lectures on partial differentiation. I have a friend who takes amazing note but unfortunately my lecturer only seems to go through examples rather than standard methods and formulas.

So could you please help me with a few things?

What is the chain rule in partial differentiation?

How do you work out the below?

[tex]\frac{ \partial g}{\partial x} \quad \text{for} \quad x^2 + y^2 = r^2[/tex]

And what do these mean please: [itex]F_{xx} \quad \text{and} \quad F_{xy}[/itex]

Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zurtex said:
Hi hi, due to no fault of my own I have ended up missing 2 of my lectures on partial differentiation. I have a friend who takes amazing note but unfortunately my lecturer only seems to go through examples rather than standard methods and formulas.

So could you please help me with a few things?

If they don't involve prime numbers :uhh: ,i think i can help... :tongue2:

Zurtex said:
What is the chain rule in partial differentiation?

Basically this one:
[tex] z=z(x(u,v),y(u,v)) \Rightarrow \frac{\partial z}{\partial u}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial u} [/tex]

and similar for "v"...I hope u can see the generalization for an arbitrary no.of functions & variables...

Zurtex said:
How do you work out the below?

[tex]\frac{ \partial g}{\partial x} \quad \text{for} \quad x^2 + y^2 = r^2[/tex]

Give it a try using the formula i gave u...

Zurtex said:
And what do these mean please: [itex]F_{xx} \quad \text{and} \quad F_{xy}[/itex]

That's the Lagrange notation for partial derivatives...In the Jacobi notation:
[tex]F_{xy}=\frac{\partial^{2} F}{\partial x \partial y} [/tex]

Daniel.

Thanks for any help you can give.[/QUOTE]

Prime numbers?

dextercioby said:
If they don't involve prime numbers :uhh: ,i think i can help... :tongue2:

Prime numbers? I'm hesitant to challenge you but I don't think prime numbers have anything to do with partial derivatives.

Thanks dextercioby, lol.

Just one more question then, what does this mean:

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2} F}{\partial x \partial y} [/tex]

:rofl: :rofl: It's a famous thread in the HS homework section... :tongue2:

So yes,u didn't know what i was referring to...

Daniel.

Zurtex said:
Thanks dextercioby, lol.

Just one more question then, what does this mean:

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2} F}{\partial x \partial y} [/tex]

That's the notation for the second order partial derivative of the function F wrt the variables "y" and "x",viz.

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2} F}{\partial x \partial y}=:\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial y} F [/tex]

,where i designated specifically the order of the PD operators...In general,they commute (Schwarz's theorem)...

Daniel.

I'm going to take a guess that:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \right)[/tex]

Right?

Not always.Any respectable mathematician knows at least one example of function for which the PD operators do not commute...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Not always.Any respectable mathematician knows at least one example of function for which the PD operators do not commute...

Daniel.
:rolleyes: Yeah thanks, the first time I saw them in my life was on monday and I've missed all subsequent lectures on them since and due to personal problems haven't even give them the time of day to think about them.

dextercioby said:
...In general,they commute (Schwarz's theorem)...
*cough*Clairaut's theorem*cough*

Ofcourse, the same theorem can have different names...

Zurtex said:
I'm going to take a guess that:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial y} \right) = \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \right)[/tex]

Right?

If [itex]F_{xy}[/itex] and [itex]F_{yx}[/itex] are both continuous on a disk D containing the point (a,b), then [itex]F_{xy}(a,b)=F_{yx}(a,b)[/itex].

That's because your were taught mathematics in one place & me in another...
Anyway,i'll check up on Clairaut... :wink:

Daniel.

That really makes no sense at all because there is no "g" in your equation!

It doesn't unless:
[tex] g=g(r(x,y)) [/tex]

where the functional dependence
[tex] g(r) [/tex]

is given...

Daniel.

HallsofIvy said:
That really makes no sense at all because there is no "g" in your equation!
That's what my friends notes have and I'm told that's the problem our lecturer gave, he's also asked us to partially differentiate a whole bunch of stuff without giving what variable with respect to what variable. I rather imagine a lot of the time they really have no idea what they are going on about (at least some of them), you can usually tell which ones don’t because they don’t offer support like the rest.

Edit: Oh and we were given no g(r)=... we were just asked:

and that alone. Oh well, I'll go back and ask him to go over it again to see if he does know what he is writting.

Last edited:

What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function in relation to a specific variable, while keeping other variables constant. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation?

The main difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation is that in partial differentiation, we are only considering the change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. In ordinary differentiation, we consider the change of a function with respect to one variable, without holding any other variables constant.

How is partial differentiation performed?

To perform partial differentiation, we take the derivative of a function with respect to the variable we are interested in, treating all other variables as constants. This can be done using the standard rules of differentiation, such as the power rule and chain rule.

What are some practical applications of partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation has many practical applications, including optimization problems, finding critical points, and analyzing the behavior of functions in relation to specific variables. It is also used in fields such as thermodynamics, economics, and statistics.