Exploring Photoionization in Combination with Direct & Stepwise Ionization

In summary, it is possible for laser photons to cause direct and/or stepwise ionization in gases, and the exact percentage of each type can be predicted by considering factors such as laser type, wavelength, and gas species. However, this information may not be readily available and may require further research and theoretical modeling.
aquila14
I'm working on a personal project trying to figure out if lasers can be effectively used to generate plasma from a gas at specific rates.

As part of this, I assumed that most of the ionization would take place because of the laser photons rather than the power generated by the laser. Working with this assumption, I'm now trying to figure out if there can be any direct ionization or stepwise ionization (from electron/ion impact) as a result of the photoionization. If so, how do you predict the percentage of each type of ionization?I've tried to look through a lot of textbooks and other sources, but haven't been able to find photoionization in combination with direct and/or stepwise ionization. This is my last ditch effort. I'll have to go with other assumptions if this theory doesn't pan out.

Please help!

Note: So far I haven't considered ionization equilibrium, so recombination doesn't factor in yet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ionization from laser photons is indeed a valid concept. Depending on the type of laser and its wavelength, various ionization processes may be possible. Photodetachment, photodissociation, photoionization, and two-photon ionization are all mechanisms by which a laser can produce ions. Direct ionization occurs when an electron is removed from an atom or molecule due to a single photon interaction. It is typically observed with higher energy (eV) lasers and shorter wavelengths (UV). Stepwise ionization occurs when a series of lower energy photons interact with the atom or molecule, each photon removing an electron until the species becomes fully ionized. This is more common with longer wavelength lasers such as those in the infra-red regime. The percentage of direct and stepwise ionization depends heavily on the type of laser used, its wavelength, and the gas species. Some of this information can be obtained from data tables, such as the NIST Atomic Spectra Database or the HITRAN database. Additionally, if you are looking at specific gas mixtures, you may be able to find theoretical models that predict the ionization probability.

1. What is photoionization?

Photoionization is a process in which a photon (particle of light) interacts with an atom or molecule and causes an electron to be ejected, resulting in the formation of a positively charged ion.

2. What is direct ionization?

Direct ionization is a type of ionization in which a high-energy particle (such as an electron or proton) directly collides with an atom or molecule, causing it to lose an electron and become ionized.

3. What is stepwise ionization?

Stepwise ionization is a multi-step process in which a molecule is ionized by absorbing multiple photons, each with lower energy than the previous one. This allows for a more controlled and gradual ionization process.

4. How are photoionization, direct ionization, and stepwise ionization related?

All three processes involve the removal of electrons from atoms or molecules, but they differ in the way this ionization occurs. Photoionization involves the absorption of a single photon, while direct ionization involves a direct collision with a high-energy particle. Stepwise ionization is a more complex process that involves the absorption of multiple photons in a controlled manner.

5. What are the potential applications of exploring photoionization in combination with direct and stepwise ionization?

Understanding the mechanisms and dynamics of these ionization processes can provide valuable insights into a variety of fields, including atmospheric science, astrophysics, and materials science. It can also aid in the development of new technologies such as laser-based spectroscopy and ionization techniques for mass spectrometry.