1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial factorization

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(I'm not sure what forum to put this on: number theory because of factoring, programming because I want to automate it, computers because I don't intend to actually program anything myself, or general because it combines these.)

I'm looking for a program that I can use to partially factor numbers that are too large to fully factor (thousands of digits -- 500 to 35,000 bits). I'd like a 'high' chance of finding all factors below 15 digits or so.

A program that has trouble with repeated factors (squareful numbers) is inappropriate, as these numbers may well be divisible by the square of a large (> 1e9) prime. I don't know of any that have trouble with these other than prime powers, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

So what's out there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2
  4. Jul 31, 2008 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I'm probably looking for some kind of ECM. But I want to check a large number of, uh, large numbers -- too many to enter by hand, too many even to check by hand (~9,000). Also, something downloadable and fast (not Java) would be nice. I suppose that applet does have source code I could modify, if it came to that... but I was hoping there was something else out there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook