Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Partial Fraction Challenge

1. Feb 17, 2017 #1
    I have figured out a nice way to prove that if the complex numbers [itex]z_1,z_2,\ldots, z_N\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] are all distinct, then the equation

[tex]
    \prod_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{z - z_n} = \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n}
    [/tex]

is true for all [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}\setminus\{z_1,z_2,\ldots, z_N\}[/itex], where the alpha coefficients have been defined by the formula

[tex]
    \alpha_n = \underset{n'\neq n}{\prod_{n'=1}^N} \frac{1}{z_n - z_{n'}}
    [/tex]

I would like to leave the proof of this result as challenge to you guys, and I'm not in a need for advice myself at this point. Of course if somebody proves this in a way that is different from my proof, then I'm still reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2017 #2
    [ SPOILER="spoiler" ]

There might be a simpler way, but you can prove it by induction. The base case is [itex]N=1[/itex]. Then we need to show that

[itex]\Pi_{n=1}^1 \frac{1}{z-z_n} = \sum_{n=1}^1 \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n} [/itex]

That's pretty obvious. Now, suppose it is true for [itex]N[/itex]. Then we have:

[itex]\Pi_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{z-z_n} = \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n}[/itex]

Now, multiply both sides by [itex]\frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}[/itex]. On the left side, we have:

[itex]\Pi_{n=1}^{N+1} \frac{1}{z-z_n}[/itex]

On the right side, we have:

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n} \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}[/itex]

Now, we use the fact that:

[itex]\frac{1}{z-z_n} - \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}} = \frac{z_n -z_{N+1}}{(z-z_n) (z-z_{N+1})}[/itex]

So [itex]\frac{1}{z_n - z_{N+1}} [\frac{1}{z-z_n} - \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}]= \frac{1}{(z-z_n) (z-z_{N+1})}[/itex]

So we can rewrite the right-hand side as

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z_n - z_{N+1}} [\frac{1}{z-z_n} - \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}][/itex]

[itex]= [\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\bar{\alpha_n}}{z - z_n}] + \frac{\bar{\alpha_{N+1}}}{z-z_{N-1}}[/itex]

where [itex]\bar{\alpha_n} = \frac{\alpha_n}{z_n - z_{N+1}}[/itex] and where [itex]\bar{\alpha_{N+1}} = \sum_{n=1}^N -\frac{\alpha_n}{z_n - z_{N+1}}[/itex]

So we can write the right-hand side as [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N+1} \frac{\bar{\alpha_n}}{z - z_n}[/itex]

So the only thing left is to prove that [itex]\bar{\alpha_n}[/itex] has the right form, which is beyond what I have the energy for right now.
    [ /SPOILER ]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted