How to Prove the Partial Fraction Formula for Distinct Complex Numbers?

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for proving that if a set of distinct complex numbers are given, a certain equation holds true for all complex numbers except for the ones in the set. The conversation also mentions a proof technique using induction, but the original poster suggests that their proof involves two separate techniques for proving the uniqueness and existence of the coefficients in the equation. The conversation ends with a hint and assurance that the existence proof does not use induction and has a similar length as the induction proof.
jostpuur
I have figured out a nice way to prove that if the complex numbers [itex]z_1,z_2,\ldots, z_N\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] are all distinct, then the equation

[tex]
\prod_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{z - z_n} = \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n}
[/tex]

is true for all [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}\setminus\{z_1,z_2,\ldots, z_N\}[/itex], where the alpha coefficients have been defined by the formula

[tex]
\alpha_n = \underset{n'\neq n}{\prod_{n'=1}^N} \frac{1}{z_n - z_{n'}}
[/tex]

I would like to leave the proof of this result as challenge to you guys, and I'm not in a need for advice myself at this point. Of course if somebody proves this in a way that is different from my proof, then I'm still reading.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[ SPOILER="spoiler" ]

There might be a simpler way, but you can prove it by induction. The base case is [itex]N=1[/itex]. Then we need to show that

[itex]\Pi_{n=1}^1 \frac{1}{z-z_n} = \sum_{n=1}^1 \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n} [/itex]

That's pretty obvious. Now, suppose it is true for [itex]N[/itex]. Then we have:

[itex]\Pi_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{z-z_n} = \sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n}[/itex]

Now, multiply both sides by [itex]\frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}[/itex]. On the left side, we have:

[itex]\Pi_{n=1}^{N+1} \frac{1}{z-z_n}[/itex]

On the right side, we have:

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z-z_n} \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}[/itex]

Now, we use the fact that:

[itex]\frac{1}{z-z_n} - \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}} = \frac{z_n -z_{N+1}}{(z-z_n) (z-z_{N+1})}[/itex]

So [itex]\frac{1}{z_n - z_{N+1}} [\frac{1}{z-z_n} - \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}]= \frac{1}{(z-z_n) (z-z_{N+1})}[/itex]

So we can rewrite the right-hand side as

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\alpha_n}{z_n - z_{N+1}} [\frac{1}{z-z_n} - \frac{1}{z-z_{N+1}}][/itex]

[itex]= [\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{\bar{\alpha_n}}{z - z_n}] + \frac{\bar{\alpha_{N+1}}}{z-z_{N-1}}[/itex]

where [itex]\bar{\alpha_n} = \frac{\alpha_n}{z_n - z_{N+1}}[/itex] and where [itex]\bar{\alpha_{N+1}} = \sum_{n=1}^N -\frac{\alpha_n}{z_n - z_{N+1}}[/itex]

So we can write the right-hand side as [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{N+1} \frac{\bar{\alpha_n}}{z - z_n}[/itex]

So the only thing left is to prove that [itex]\bar{\alpha_n}[/itex] has the right form, which is beyond what I have the energy for right now.
[ /SPOILER ]

A month has passed since the opening post, so I'll give a hint. My own proof splits into two independent parts, where we use one technique to prove that if the formula is true with at least some alphas, then the alphas cannot be anything else but the ones given by the claim. Then we use another technique to prove that the formula is true with at least some alphas. In other words my proof proves the uniqueness and existence of alpha coefficients separately, which is typical in mathematics.

Although the work of stevendaryl was left incomplete, actually the induction step found by him does provide a proof for the existence of the alphas, so in this sense half of the problem already got solved. Anyway, I can assure you that my proof for the existence does not use induction, and consequently in my opinion has more style to it. I cannot insist that my existence proof would be shorter though; looks roughly the same in terms of length.

1. What is the Partial Fraction Challenge?

The Partial Fraction Challenge is a mathematical problem that involves breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions. It is commonly used in calculus and engineering to solve integrals and differential equations.

2. How do you solve the Partial Fraction Challenge?

To solve the Partial Fraction Challenge, you first need to factor the denominator of the complex fraction. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the simpler fractions and solve for the unknown variables. Finally, you plug in the values for the unknown variables and simplify the original fraction.

3. Why is the Partial Fraction Challenge important?

The Partial Fraction Challenge is important because it allows us to break down complex fractions into simpler ones, making it easier to solve integrals and differential equations. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and other fields of science and engineering.

4. What are some tips for solving the Partial Fraction Challenge?

Some tips for solving the Partial Fraction Challenge include factoring the denominator completely, setting up a system of equations with the coefficients of the simpler fractions, and checking your solution by plugging it back into the original fraction. It is also helpful to practice with different types of fractions to become more familiar with the process.

5. Are there any common mistakes when solving the Partial Fraction Challenge?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving the Partial Fraction Challenge include forgetting to factor the denominator, making errors in setting up the system of equations, and forgetting to check the solution by plugging it back into the original fraction. It is important to double check your work and be careful with algebraic manipulations to avoid making these mistakes.