Partial Fraction Expansion for Denominator Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a denominator variable in PFE can have a coefficient other than 1 and if there is a rule for this. It is also mentioned that this is in relation to taking the inverse Laplace transform. The conclusion is that it is possible to factor out the coefficient, but it is not necessary and both ways are acceptable.
btbam91
For PFE, can a denominator variables with coefficient of something other than 1, or does it have to be 1?

For Example, can I have a term A/(3x+9)?

It's been years since I've dealt with this and don't quite remember if this was a rule or not.

Thanks!

EDIT: This is in terms of taking the inverse laplace transform later.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just to put things into perspective, is the first image ok or do I have to follow what I did in the second image?

Attachments

• 11.PNG
    11.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 383
  • 22.PNG
    22.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 406
btbam91 said:
For PFE, can a denominator variables with coefficient of something other than 1, or does it have to be 1?

For Example, can I have a term A/(3x+9)?

It's been years since I've dealt with this and don't quite remember if this was a rule or not.

Thanks!

EDIT: This is in terms of taking the inverse Laplace transform later.

You can do it either way. But why would you not factor out the 3?

attachment.php?attachmentid=50620&d=1347238675.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=50621&d=1347238675.png

It's just been a while since I've done these. For some reason I thought it was a rule that the coefficients had to be 1 or something.

In my 2nd image, is it set up correctly? Where the 3 remains on the left but the K1/s should not be K1/3s?

btbam91 said:
In my 2nd image, is it set up correctly? Where the 3 remains on the left but the K1/s should not be K1/3s?

Oh, I missed that.

To find the coefficients the second way, you should include the 1/3 as follows.
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{5}{s(3s^2+30s+63)}=
\frac{1}{3}\left(\frac{k_1}{s}+\frac{k_2}{s+3}+ \frac{k_3}{s+7}\right)[/itex]​

What is partial fraction expansion?

Partial fraction expansion is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex rational expression into simpler fractions. It is commonly used in calculus and algebra to solve equations and integrate functions.

What is the purpose of partial fraction expansion?

The purpose of partial fraction expansion is to make complicated rational expressions easier to work with. By breaking them down into simpler fractions, they become easier to integrate, simplify, or solve.

What are the steps to perform a partial fraction expansion?

The steps to perform a partial fraction expansion are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational expression.
  2. Set up the partial fraction equation in the form of A/(x-a) + B/(x-b) + ...
  3. Determine the values of the coefficients A, B, etc. by setting up and solving a system of equations.
  4. Write the final expanded expression in terms of the coefficients found in the previous step.

When is partial fraction expansion used?

Partial fraction expansion is commonly used in calculus and algebra to solve integrals, perform long division, and simplify complex rational expressions. It is also used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and model complex systems.

What are the benefits of using partial fraction expansion?

Some benefits of using partial fraction expansion include simplifying complex expressions, making them easier to work with, and solving equations or integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve without using this technique. It can also help in understanding the behavior of a system or function by breaking it down into simpler components.