How do I Solve for A in Partial Fraction Expansion?

In summary: The correct partial fraction decomposition is:$$\frac{x^3 -3x^2+x-12}{(x^2 +1) (x^2+4)} = \frac{x - 3}{x^2 +1} + \frac{1}{x^2 +4}$$The solution you provided, 1/(x^2+1) - 3/(x^2+4), does not equal the original expression.
mathnovice

Homework Statement

divide in partial fractions:

x^3 -3x^2+x-12 / x^4+5x^2+4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I factored x^4+5x^2+4 to (x^2 +1) (x^2+4)

x^3 -3x^2+x-12/(x^2 +1) (x^2+4) = A (x^2+1)/(x^2 +1) (x^2+4) + B (x^2+4) /(x^2 +1) (x^2+4)

they all have the same denominator so: x^3-3x^2+x-12 = A (x^2+1) + B (x^2+4)

now normally my next step would be to try to solve for A by making ( x^2+4) equal to zero so I don't have B in my equation anymore. so I should find an x where x^2 is -4 but this is impossible because of the ^2. how do I solve this? thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use just A and B. You need (ax+b) and (cx+d). You have an x^3 term.

mathnovice said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x^3 -3x^2+x-12/(x^2 +1) (x^2+4) = A (x^2+1)/(x^2 +1) (x^2+4) + B (x^2+4) /(x^2 +1) (x^2+4)

now normally my next step would be to try to solve for A by making ( x^2+4) equal to zero so I don't have B in my equation anymore. so I should find an x where x^2 is -4 but this is impossible because of the ^2. how do I solve this? thanks in advance

You have written
[tex] x^3 - 3x^2 + x - \frac{12}{x^4} + 5 x^2 + 4 [/tex]
Are you sure that is what you really want?

If you mean
[tex] \frac{x^3 - 3 x^2 + x - 12}{x^4 + 5 x^2 + 4}, [/tex]
then you absolutely MUST use parentheses, like this: (x^3 -3x^2+x-12) / (x^4+5x^2+4).

If I were doing it I would expand ##1/(x^4 + 5 x^2 + 4) = 1/(t^2 + 5 t + 4)## into partial fractions in the variable ##t =x^2##, then multiply by the numerator ##x^3 - 3x^2 + x - 12## later. The numerator can be written as
[tex] x^3 -3 x^2 + x - 12 = (x^3 + x) - (3x^2 + 3) - 9 = (x-3)(x^2+1) - 9 [/tex]
for the ##(x^2+1)## denominator and as
[tex] x^3 -3 x^2 + x - 12 = (x^3 + 4x) - (3x^2 + 12) - 3x = (x-3)(x^2 + 4) - 3x [/tex]
for the ##(x^2+ 4)## denominator; that will allow a complete partial-fraction expansion.

The only remaining issue is whether the questioner wants/allows partial fractions in ##x^2##, or whether you need to go all the way down to fractions in ##x##. In the latter case your partial fractions will be of the form ##1/(x + i c)##, where ##c## is a real number while ##i = \sqrt{-1}## is the imaginary unit.

Last edited:
mathnovice said:

Homework Statement

mathnovice said:
You need parentheses here -- one pair around the whole numerator and another pair around the whole denominator.

Homework Equations

No, this isn't right. You have skipped a step here, and your partial fraction decompositions aren't right. Try this to start with:
##\frac{x^3 -3x^2+x-12}{(x^2 +1) (x^2+4)} = \frac{Ax + B}{x^2 +1} + \frac{Cx + D}{x^2 +4}##
mathnovice said:

how do you guys right fractions and expontents that way? :D would come in handy.

Would this step be wrong?: (x^3-3x^2+x-12)/[(x^2+1)(x^2+4)] = [(Ax +B) (x^2+1)]/[(x^2 +1) (x^2+4)] + [(Cx+D)(x^2+4)] /[(x^2 +1) (x^2+4)]

and then say (x^3-3x^2+x-12) = (Ax +B) (x^2+1) + (Bx+c)(x^2+4) becose they all had the same denominator.

and if so then what is the next step? could turn it into (x^3-3x^2+x-12)= Ax^3 +Bx^2 +Ax +B+ Cx^3 +Dx^2 +4Cx +4D but I don't think that's really useful

thanks for helping me, was able to solve a lot of the exercises with watching the videos on khanacademy.com on partial fraction expansion but now I'm stuck

Last edited:
To see how somebody has done some equations, click the reply button and look at the tags. Just don't post it because it would be a duplication.

You wrote (Ax+B) and (Bx+C). You used B twice. You want (Ax+B) and (CX+D).

mathnovice said:
and if so then what is the next step? could turn it into (x^3-3x^2+x-12)= Ax^3 +Bx^2 +Ax +B+ Cx^3 +Dx^2 +4Cx +4D but I don't think that's really useful
At this point, you can collect terms on the righthand side, giving you
$$x^3 - 3x^2 + x - 12 = (A+C)x^3 + (B+D)x^2 + (A+4C) x + (B+4D),$$ and then match coefficients. For example, from the ##x^3## terms, you'd get 1 = A+C. You'll have a system of four linear equations and four unknowns, which is straightforward to solve.

I found the answer: 1/(x^2+1) - 3/(x^2+4). everybody thanks for the help. I would never been able find the answer without it!

Unfortunately, that's not correct.

What is partial fraction expansion?

Partial fraction expansion is a mathematical technique used to express a rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. It is often used in integration and solving differential equations.

Why is partial fraction expansion important?

Partial fraction expansion allows us to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. This technique is especially useful in solving problems in various fields of science and engineering.

What are the steps involved in partial fraction expansion?

The general steps for partial fraction expansion are: 1) Factor the denominator of the rational function, 2) Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions, 3) Set up a system of equations using the coefficients of each term, 4) Solve the system of equations to find the unknown coefficients, and 5) Rewrite the original function in terms of the found coefficients.

Can all rational functions be expanded using partial fractions?

No, not all rational functions can be expanded using partial fractions. The denominator must be factorable into linear and quadratic factors in order for this technique to work.

What are some applications of partial fraction expansion in science?

Partial fraction expansion is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to solve problems related to rates of change, dynamics, and equilibrium. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis.