1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fraction help needed

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to decompose this (s+2)*(s+1)/(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1 using partial fractions so after that i can inverse Laplace it. I have been working on it for several hours but i cannot find a solution. Any help?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2
    Use parentheses so that it is clear what the expression, in particular what the denominator, is. Is it: (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)] - 1? Presumably not, as trivially (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)] - 1 = 1/(s^2+1) - 1.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    The fraction is: (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1]

The -1 is a part of the denominator
  5. Dec 5, 2008 #4
    Thanks for clarifying, rforrevenge. The denominator (s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1 doesn't appear to factorise, so no partial fraction decomposition is possible. Check your work up to arriving at, presumably, Y(s) = (s+2)*(s+1)/[(s+2)*(s+1)*(s^2+1)-1]. Perhaps show us how you arrived at it.
  6. Dec 5, 2008 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure you've copied down the correct expression? The denominator expands to s^4+3s^3+3s^2+3s+1 which has no real roots/factors.
  7. Dec 5, 2008 #6
    Yes i am sure.I found out that the denominator has no roots,so there must be some problem with that expression our prof. gave us
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?