1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fraction Integration

1. May 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I should be using partial fractions for this problem but the x^2 in the denom. screws me up. I think the partial fraction should be:

(Ax+B)/(x^2+4) + C/(3-x)

So now Im completely lost assuming im even on the right track.:bugeye:

Thanks Alot!!!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This makes no sense. Your first steps aren't actual equations, which is confusing you.

(Ax+B)/(x^2+4) + C/(3-x) = (3x+4)/(x^2+4)(3-x)

Multiplying by the two denomiator parts gives

(Ax+B)(3-x) + c(x^2+4) = 3x+4

This is for all x, so plug in clever values (like x=3), to solve for a, b and c
  4. May 6, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you're doing! You have [tex]\frac{3x+4}{(x^2+4)(3-x)}=\frac{Ax+B}{x^2+4}+\frac{C}{3-x}[/tex]. Now multiply through by the denominator of the LHS to yield [tex]3x+4=(Ax+B)(3-x)+C(x^2+4)[/tex]. Now you need to find three equations to obtain A B and C.
  5. May 6, 2007 #4
    Ok it makes more sense now, this partial fraction stuff drives me nuts!:yuck:

Thanks guys!
  6. May 7, 2007 #5
    Ok so I just worked on this problem again.... It was driving me nuts! This is what I came out with,

So for a final answer I came up with,
    (Ln(x^2+4))/2+Ln(3-x)+ C

Is that right??

7. May 7, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

Partial fraction decomposition right. Integration wrong. The second term should have a negative sign. The answer should be [tex]\frac{1}{2}\ln{(x^2+4)} - \ln{|3-x|} + C[/tex]. Don't forget the modulus sign on the second term (it's optional for the first since the square expression is nonnegative for real x).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?