1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fraction Integration

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫(2e^x)/(e^(2x)-1)dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was told to solve using partial fractions. When I set up the partial fraction I got:

A/e^x+1 + B/e^x-1 = 2e^x

When I broke it up, I solved for A and B and got that A and B should both equal 1/2. When I plugged it back into the integral, I pulled out the 2 in the numerator, substituted A and B in (so the 2 and the 1/2s all cancel) and integrated 1/e^2x+1 dx and 1/e^2x-1 dx

After I integrated, I got ln(e^x+1) + ln(e^x-1) + C

However, when I looked up the answer online to check my answer, they had something a little different. The answer (on Wolfram Alpha) was nearly the same, but instead was: ln(1-e^x)-ln(e^x+1) +C

I was wondering where I could have gone wrong?

Just to be clear, when I set up the partial fractions, I did the following:

A/e^x+1 + B/e^x-1 =2e^x/(e^x+1)(e^x-1).
    =A(e^x-1)+B(e^x+1)
    =Ae^x-A+Be^x+B
    =(A+B)e^x+(B-A)
    I set this equal to the numerator in the integral:
    (A+B)e^x+(B-A)=e^2x ---- I pulled the two outside of the integral in the first step
    This means:
    A+B=1
    B-A=0
    A=B=0.5

Any idea where I went wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

1. Use parentheses. What you wrote on the left side is this:
    Ae-x + 1 + Be-x + 1

What you meant, I'm sure, was this:
    A/(ex + 1) + B/(ex + 1)
    2. Your equation really would be this:
    A/(ex + 1) + B/(ex + 1) = 2ex/(e2x - 1)
    I suspect that where you went wrong was thinking this:

$$\int \frac{dx}{e^x + 1} = ln(e^x + 1) + C$$
    That is NOT correct!!
    Furthermore, I think your approach is a dead end. A simpler approach is to do a substitution first, and then use partial fractions on that.

4. Sep 10, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You wrote several incorrect formulas. Never, never write A/e^x+1 (which equals 1 + (A/e^x)) if you mean A/(e^x+1). Always use parentheses, or else use TeX, like this:
    [tex] \frac{A}{e^x+1}[/tex]

Anyway, your answer makes sense only if x > 0 (so that e^x > 1) and the on-line answer makes sense only if x < 0 (so that e^x < 1); those restrictions are needed to avoid computing logs of negative numbers. You need to write things differently if you want a formula that works for all x, whether positive or negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted