1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fraction Problem

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{8x^{2}+5x+8}{x^{3}-1}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Because the denominator can be reduced to (x-1)([itex]x^{2}+x+1[/itex]), I set up the partial fractions to be [itex]\frac{A}{(x-1)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{Bx+C}{(x^{2}+x+1)}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've solved for A, B, and C, and now have the integral set up as such:

7[itex]\int\frac{dx}{x-1}[/itex] + [itex]\int\frac{x-1}{x^{2}+x+1}[/itex]dx

Where A is 7, B is 1, and C is -1

I can integrate the first term simply, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to integrate the second term. The best I can think of is a u substitution, but du turns into 2x+1 dx, which is nothing like x-1 dx. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write x-1=(1/2)*(2x+1)-3/2. Now you can easily do the 2x+1 part. The -3/2 part is harder. You'll need to complete the square in the denominator and do a trig substitution.

4. Oct 21, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Complete the square on the other integral. I believe you'll get an arctan in the solution.

5. Oct 21, 2012 #4
    Ah, I see now. It's been a while since I've done that, but it works. I suppose I should do similar exercises to get this in my head.

And yeah, part of the integral turned out to be an inverse tangent one. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook