1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fraction question with polynomial long division HELP with question please!

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x^2-x-13/(x^2+7)(x-2)

hello i am having trouble solving this problem.. could anyone please show me how to do this step by step? i know polynomial long division is required before it can be converted to partial fractions.

I also know the answer is 2x+3/x^2+7 - 1/x-2 from an online calculator. but think im missing something in the method to reach the answer.
    any help appreciated thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: partial fraction question with polynomial long division HELP with question please

Unless you meant x2 - x - (13/(x2 + 7)(x - 2)), this should be written as (x^2-x-13)/((x^2+7)(x-2)).

I doubt that is the answer. Maybe you meant (2x + 3)/(x2 + 7) - 1/(x - 2). You should get in the habit of using parentheses around the numerator and denominator of your fractions.
    No, you don't need to do polynomial long division first. The degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, so that division is unnecessary.

How did you break up the two fractions?

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    Re: partial fraction question with polynomial long division HELP with question please

its defo the answer as it has been marked but returned for not showing working.
    i may be wrong about the poly long division tho.

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4

pf qu.jpg

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What you show in post #4 is what you're starting with. When you decompose a rational expression such as that, you write it as a sum of two or more rational expressions.

For example, if you had to decompose x/(x2 - 4), you would write it as A/(x - 2) + B/(x + 2), and you would solve for the constants A and B.

How are you going to break up your rational expression?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook