1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fraction Urgent

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    Hi every one.

Just came acroos a nasty piece and was wondering if you could help me with it.

I wasn't sure if it belong to math section or here but scince it is for my homework I placed it here.
    Here is the question.
    Find the integral of [tex]\frac{x}{(x+1)(x-2)^2}[/tex]
    I have gotten to some piont using the partial fraction.
    here is my work so far.

I found the values of A B and C.

C=[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] B=[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] A=[tex]\frac{21}{9}[/tex]

If you could be so kind and help me through with it by typing what you have done would be really nice, I am not asking in latex form a simple typing will do the job.

Also can anyone help me finding the equation of the graph attached?

Attached Files:

• eq.JPG
      File size:
      10.4 KB
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2
    No-one is going to do your work for you. You've done the partial fractions, so what's wrong with doing the integration?
  4. Jun 14, 2005 #3
    If you've found A B and C ccorrectly (havent checked yet) then you can just substitue your new expression into hte integral.

[tex] \int \frac{x}{(x+1)(x-2)^2} dx = \int \left(\frac{2}{3(x+1)} + \frac{2}{3(x-2)} + \frac{7}{3(x-2)}\right) dx [/tex] which are all trivial integrals.

If those are correct values for A B and C it simplifies even more.
  5. Jun 14, 2005 #4
    your partial fractions is wrong. i get this system

then solve for a b and c again. then plug them in and replace your initial integral with your partial fractions. shouldn't be too bad from there. show your work if you're still stuck.
  6. Jun 14, 2005 #5
    Fine Gale, take the kill.
  7. Jun 14, 2005 #6
    Let me first check if I have it right.

To get partial fraction I would need 3 definitions, right?

[tex]\frac{A}{x+1} + \frac{B}{x-2} + \frac{C}{(x-2)^2}[/tex].

Then solve for A,B and C.

then do the integration.

In my last attempt I ended up with a [tex]Ln[/tex] and a function.

Is it sposed to be like that?

Any help with the graph?
  8. Jun 14, 2005 #7
    you should end up with two Ln functions and a rational function after the integration. plus don't forget an integrating constant.

The graph hasn't been approved yet, so can't help you till we see it.
  9. Jun 14, 2005 #8
    Thats the correct equation, equate it to the original integrand and multiply out by the denominator, and solve the resulting system of equations for A B and C. Once you get those, itnegrate the equivalent partial fractions, each one will evaluate to a LN of a function except the last one.
  10. Jun 14, 2005 #9
    Thanx guys.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?