Partial Fraction Integration | Urgent Help Needed

In summary, the student was looking for help with a math problem and found it here. He was not sure if it belonged to the math or science section, but it was for a homework assignment. He mentioned that he had gotten to a point using partial fractions, but needed help with the integration. No-one is going to do your work for you, so it's up to you to find the partial fractions and integrate. Once you've found the A B and C values correct, you can substitue them into the integral.
bayan
Hi every one.

Just came acroos a nasty piece and was wondering if you could help me with it.

I wasn't sure if it belong to math section or here but science it is for my homework I placed it here.
Here is the question.
Find the integral of [tex]\frac{x}{(x+1)(x-2)^2}[/tex]
I have gotten to some piont using the partial fraction.
here is my work so far.

[tex]\frac{A}{(x+1)}+\frac{B}{(x-2)}+\frac{C}{(x-2)^2}[/tex]

I found the values of A B and C.

C=[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] B=[tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] A=[tex]\frac{21}{9}[/tex]

If you could be so kind and help me through with it by typing what you have done would be really nice, I am not asking in latex form a simple typing will do the job.

Also can anyone help me finding the equation of the graph attached?

Attachments

• eq.JPG
    eq.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bayan said:
If you could be so kind and help me through with it by typing what you have done would be really nice, I am not asking in latex form a simple typing will do the job.

No-one is going to do your work for you. You've done the partial fractions, so what's wrong with doing the integration?

If you've found A B and C ccorrectly (havent checked yet) then you can just substitue your new expression into hte integral.

[tex] \int \frac{x}{(x+1)(x-2)^2} dx = \int \left(\frac{2}{3(x+1)} + \frac{2}{3(x-2)} + \frac{7}{3(x-2)}\right) dx [/tex] which are all trivial integrals.

If those are correct values for A B and C it simplifies even more.

your partial fractions is wrong. i get this system

A+B=0
-4A-B+C=1
4A-2B+C=0

then solve for a b and c again. then plug them in and replace your initial integral with your partial fractions. shouldn't be too bad from there. show your work if you're still stuck.

Fine Gale, take the kill.

Let me first check if I have it right.

To get partial fraction I would need 3 definitions, right?

[tex]\frac{A}{x+1} + \frac{B}{x-2} + \frac{C}{(x-2)^2}[/tex].

Then solve for A,B and C.

then do the integration.

In my last attempt I ended up with a [tex]Ln[/tex] and a function.

Is it sposed to be like that?

Any help with the graph?

you should end up with two Ln functions and a rational function after the integration. plus don't forget an integrating constant.

The graph hasn't been approved yet, so can't help you till we see it.

Thats the correct equation, equate it to the original integrand and multiply out by the denominator, and solve the resulting system of equations for A B and C. Once you get those, itnegrate the equivalent partial fractions, each one will evaluate to a LN of a function except the last one.

Thanx guys.

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical process that breaks down a rational function into simpler fractions. This is useful in integration and solving equations involving rational functions.

2. Why is urgent help needed for partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition can be a challenging concept for many students to grasp, and it is often a key component in more complex mathematical problems. Seeking urgent help can ensure that any misunderstandings are quickly addressed and that students are able to successfully apply this concept in their studies.

3. What are the steps for performing partial fraction decomposition?

The general steps for performing partial fraction decomposition are: 1) Factor the denominator of the rational function, 2) Write the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions, 3) Set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the simpler fractions, 4) Solve the system of equations to find the unknown coefficients, and 5) Rewrite the original rational function in the decomposed form using the values of the coefficients.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid in partial fraction decomposition?

One common mistake in partial fraction decomposition is not fully factoring the denominator of the rational function. This can lead to an incorrect setup of the system of equations. Another mistake is not checking for repeated factors in the denominator, which requires additional steps in the decomposition process.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in partial fraction decomposition?

To practice and improve your skills in partial fraction decomposition, you can solve a variety of problems with different types of rational functions. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional guidance and practice. Additionally, practicing regularly and reviewing your mistakes can also help improve your skills in this area.