Multiplying Partial Fractions: Understanding the Rules

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question about partial fractions and how to multiply them out. The solution involves multiplying both sides by the common denominator and then simplifying. The conversation also briefly touches on finding a reliable online differentiation calculator.
Jameseyboy

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

After looking through this on Wiki, I'm a little confused as to how these partial fractions are multiplied out. Is there a rule or something for this?

With simpler partials I can do it but this one is something else!

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 9b4777eceede25c36e190ffdcb882594.png
    9b4777eceede25c36e190ffdcb882594.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 379
Physics news on Phys.org
The denominator on the left is [tex](x- 1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2[/tex] and every denominator on the right is a factor of that, so multiplying both sides by it will remove all fractions:

[tex]\frac{2x^6- 4x^5+ 5x^4- 3x^3+ x^2+ 3x}{(x- 1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2}((x-1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2)= 2x^6- 4x^5+ 5x^4- 3x^3+ x^2+ 3x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A}{x- 1}((x-1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2)= A(x- 1)^2(x^2+ 1)^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{B}{(x- 1)^2}((x-1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2)= B(x- 1)(x^2+ 1)^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{C}{(x- 1)^3}((x-1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2)= C(x^2+ 1)^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Dx+ E}{x^2+ 1}((x-1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2)= (Dx+ E)(x- 1)^3(x^2+ 1)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Fx+ G}{(x^2+ 1)^2}((x-1)^3(x^2+ 1)^2)= (Fx+ G)(x- 1)^3[/tex]

Oh dear, had a complete 'idiot moment'. Thanks dude.

I've actually been googling trying to find an online differentiation calculator but I'm sure that some of them aren't giving the correct answers- do you know of any which are reliable?

Jameseyboy said:
Oh dear, had a complete 'idiot moment'. Thanks dude.

I've actually been googling trying to find an online differentiation calculator but I'm sure that some of them aren't giving the correct answers- do you know of any which are reliable?

Wolfram Alpha.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a mathematical technique used to decompose a rational function into smaller, simpler fractions. This allows us to solve more complex equations and integrals.

2. Why do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions allow us to break down a complex function into simpler parts, making it easier to solve. It is particularly useful in integration, as it allows us to integrate each individual fraction separately.

3. How do you decompose a rational function into partial fractions?

To decompose a rational function into partial fractions, we use the method of equating coefficients. We first factor the denominator of the rational function, then set up equations to find the coefficients for each partial fraction. We then solve these equations to find the values of the coefficients.

4. When do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are commonly used in calculus, particularly in integration problems involving rational functions. They are also used in differential equations and in solving linear systems of equations.

5. What are the different types of partial fractions?

The two main types of partial fractions are proper and improper fractions. Proper fractions have a smaller degree in the numerator than in the denominator, while improper fractions have a degree in the numerator equal to or greater than the degree in the denominator. There are also cases where the denominator cannot be factored, known as irreducible fractions.