Mastering Partial Fractions: A Step-by-Step Guide for Integrating (x+2)/(x+4)^2

In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral of 1/(x^2+4)^2 by using the substitution method u=2tan and without using partial fractions. The person named Alexsan suggests looking for resources such as books to solve the problem, while the other person challenges them to first correct their mistake in the original post before seeking help.
NINHARDCOREFAN
The integral of [(x+2/(x+4)]^2

A/(x^2+4) + B/[(x^2+4)^2)

A=0, B=1

so, the integral of 1/(x^2+4)^2

how do you do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u = 2tan and don't use partial fractions…

JonF said:
Let u = 2tan and don't use partial fractions…
I think even when you don't do as what you said in your post, surely you can still find out A LOT OF SOURCES to get this THING solved. Why never look for books around you ? I am sure you should have a lot, because maths computation is what you like, which your presence here already tells me, RIGHT ?

Just a suggestion anyway, since not everyone has an American dream.. For example, me, call me Alexsan, a psychologist-to-be, mainly plays around with alcohols and chemical reactions.

NINHARDCOREFAN said:
The integral of [(x+2/(x+4)]^2

A/(x^2+4) + B/[(x^2+4)^2)

A=0, B=1

so, the integral of 1/(x^2+4)^2

how do you do this?
Hehe, Now your turn!

1~ Is it true that you don't understand how to solve the problem or you want to play around with your misinformation?
2~ You first correct your mistake made in your OP, then I will try to help you_UP.

AlexContourPlus

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a mathematical technique used to simplify complex algebraic expressions by breaking them down into smaller, simpler fractions. This is often done in order to make solving equations or integrals easier.

2. When do I need to use partial fractions?

You will typically need to use partial fractions when dealing with rational functions, which are functions that can be written as a ratio of two polynomials. When these functions are difficult to integrate or solve, partial fractions can be used to break them down into simpler fractions that are easier to work with.

3. How do I solve equations involving partial fractions?

The first step in solving equations with partial fractions is to decompose the original expression into simpler fractions using partial fraction decomposition. Then, you can solve for the unknown variables in each fraction and combine them back together to get the final solution.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for solving partial fractions?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when solving partial fractions. The first is that the degree of the numerator of each fraction must be less than the degree of the denominator. Additionally, if the denominator of a fraction can be factored, each factor should have its own corresponding term in the partial fraction decomposition.

5. Can I use partial fractions in calculus?

Yes, partial fractions are commonly used in calculus when integrating rational functions. By breaking down the rational function into simpler fractions, it becomes easier to integrate and find the antiderivative. This is especially useful when dealing with improper fractions or functions with complex denominators.