Simplifying Partial Fractions Using Integration by Parts

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int e^{ax}cosbx and the use of substitution and integration by parts methods. The final result is \frac{1}{b}e^{ax}sinbx + \frac{a}{b^{2}}e^{ax}cosbx - \frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}}\int e^{ax}cosbxdx. The next steps involve factoring and checking the answer through differentiation. The conversation also clarifies that the problem does not involve partial fractions.
elitespart
[tex]\int e^{ax}cosbx[/tex]

This one is driving me insane.

So I used e^ax as u and cosbx dx as dv. And then I did it again using e^ax as u and sinbx as dv which left me with [tex]\int e^{ax}cosbx = \frac{1}{b}e^{ax}sinbx + \frac{a}{b^{2}}e^{ax}cosbx - \frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}}\int e^{ax}cosbxdx[/tex]

I have no ideas if this is right and no clue what do after if it is. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that you get back the same integral on the right side, so move it to the left and factor.

Then check your answer by differentiation.

ok this is probably a stupid algebra question but when I move the integral from the right side to the left side then how do I get rid of the a^2/b^2 that's stuck to it?

nvm (word count)

And, finally, this problem had nothing at all to do with "partial fractions".

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to decompose a complex rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration and simplification of equations.

2. When are partial fractions used?

Partial fractions are often used in calculus and mathematics to solve integrals, simplify equations, and solve problems related to differential equations.

3. How do you solve partial fractions?

To solve partial fractions, the rational function is first decomposed into simpler fractions using a technique called "partial fraction decomposition". This involves finding the unknown constants and writing the original equation as a sum of these simpler fractions.

4. What is the purpose of using partial fractions?

The purpose of using partial fractions is to simplify complex rational functions and make them easier to work with. This can be especially useful in calculus and other mathematical applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions?

Yes, there are some limitations to using partial fractions. It can only be used for rational functions, and some equations may not be able to be fully decomposed into simpler fractions. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient method for solving equations, and there may be alternative techniques that are more appropriate for certain problems.