Partial Fractions: Why is My Expansion Wrong?

I once had a student who kept trying to use the quadratic formula on equations like x^2- 5x= 3. He said he "liked the quadratic formula"!
FrogPad
I have: [tex] \frac{(1+j\omega)(3-j\omega)}{(3+j\omega)(3-j\omega)} [/tex]

When I perform the partial fraction expansion I get:

[tex] \frac{-2}{3+j\omega} [/tex]

Where my calculator gets:
[tex] 1 - \frac{-2}{3+j\omega} [/tex].

Why am I wrong?

I am performing the expansion as follows:

[tex] \bar F(s) = \frac{(1+s)(3-s)}{(3+s)(3-s)} [/tex]

and,
[tex] K_i = (s+p_i)\bar F (s) [/tex] where: [itex] s = - p_i [/tex]

note: [tex] p_i [/tex] corresponds to 3 and -3 respectively. I am getting:
[tex] K_1 = -2 [/tex]
and [tex] K_2 = 0 [/tex]
(this does not match my calculator.

I am assuming simple poles. Is this not proper?

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't even need to partial fraction this expression

[tex] \frac{(1+j\omega)(3-j\omega)}{(3+j\omega)(3-j\omega)} [/tex]

The term [itex](3-j\omega)/(3-j\omega)=1[/itex], so you're left with

[tex] \frac{(1+j\omega)}{(3+j\omega)} [/tex]

Then rewrite this as

[tex] \frac{(1+j\omega)}{(3+j\omega)} = \frac{(3+j\omega - 2)}{(3+j\omega)} = 1 - \frac{2}{3+j\omega} [/tex]

Well I like what you did, that is nice way of doing it.

My original term was:
[tex]\frac{1+jw}{3+jw} [/tex]

I then multiplied by:
[tex]\frac{3-jw}{3-jw} = 1[/tex]

and was trying to expand it as such.

Is there a reason why this method does not work (in this case)?

I want to know how to generalize it. The original expression, written as: [tex]\frac{1+jw}{3+jw} [/tex] does not match my transform table, so I wanted to express it differently. I'll definitely remember the way you showed me for similar expressions, but in general I should be applying partial fractions... so why didn't it work here?

thanks man, I do appreciate it

??jpr0 did use "partial fractions", he just didn't make it overly complicated by introducing new factors into the numerator and denominator. The technique of "partial fractions" assumes you have already reduced the numerator and denominator as much as possible. For example, if you applied partial fractions to
[tex]\frac{x^2- 5x+3}{x-2}[/tex]
you would get similarly incorrect results- first do the division to to get a "proper" fraction.

HallsofIvy said:
??jpr0 did use "partial fractions", he just didn't make it overly complicated by introducing new factors into the numerator and denominator. The technique of "partial fractions" assumes you have already reduced the numerator and denominator as much as possible. For example, if you applied partial fractions to
[tex]\frac{x^2- 5x+3}{x-2}[/tex]
you would get similarly incorrect results- first do the division to to get a "proper" fraction.

Gotchya'. I wasn't trying to be overly complicated, I was just applying the technique (blindly in this case) that I remembered. I didn't know that it had to be a "proper" fraction first. Thanks halls! That clears it up.

I know you weren't trying to be- but sometimes it just happens!

What is the purpose of using partial fractions in mathematical equations?

Partial fractions are used to break down a complex fraction into simpler, more manageable fractions. This can make it easier to solve equations and integrate functions.

Why is my partial fraction expansion giving me a different answer than the original equation?

There are a few common mistakes that can cause a wrong expansion. These include forgetting to include all terms in the original equation, using the wrong coefficients, or incorrectly factoring a polynomial. It is important to double check all steps and calculations to ensure accuracy.

Can I use partial fractions for any type of fraction?

Partial fractions can be used for rational functions, which are fractions with polynomials in the numerator and denominator. However, it is important to note that not all rational functions can be broken down into partial fractions. In these cases, other methods of solving may be necessary.

How do I know if my partial fraction expansion is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of a partial fraction expansion is to combine the fractions back together and see if it simplifies to the original equation. Additionally, you can plug in values for the variables to see if the expanded equation and original equation give the same result.

Are there any tips for simplifying partial fraction expansions?

Sometimes, a partial fraction expansion can result in a complex expression. In these cases, it may be helpful to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying fractions, and finding common denominators to simplify the expanded equation. It may also be useful to check for common factors or patterns in the coefficients.