1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fractions

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I'm having trouble understanding what the numerator needs to be in the partial fractions.
    e.g.

[tex]\frac{1}{(x-1)(x-2)^2}\equiv \frac{A}{x-1}+\frac{Bx+C}{(x-2)^2}[/tex]

Notice how the first numerator has a constant A, while the second is linear Bx+C.
    Actually... just now I think I may understand it. Does it have to do with the fact that during synthetic division, the remainder is always 1 degree less than the divisor? The second fraction's denominator is a quadratic, so its numerator should be linear?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

"Does it have to do with the fact that during synthetic division, the remainder is always 1 degree less than the divisor? The second fraction's denominator is a quadratic, so its numerator should be linear?"

Essentially - the numerator should always be the "most general" polynomial of lower degree than the denominator

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook