1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fractions?

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In one of the workings of a question I couldn't solve(from solution sheet) there was one step I couldn't understand.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{1}{x^2+x+1} = \frac{1-x}{1-x^3}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried partial fractions(unfactorable denominator) and could'nt get it, finally got it through trial and error but is there a method where you apply to all such expressions to simplify it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You're wanting to factorize (1-x³). You can see that x=1 solves it, so take out (x-1) as a factor.

How to do this? Do you know the "long division" method for dividing (1-x³) by (x-1)? This will give you the other factor.

:: EDIT:: I assumed you were working from the RH expression, wanting to find the LHE. Maybe you weren't. Which do you regard as the "simplest" expression here? :smile:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  4. Apr 10, 2012 #3
    Haha sorry if I didnt put it into context properly. I wanted to obtain the RHE from the LHE, it wasnt a proving question but rather the solution manual skipped steps from LH-> RH and I'm not sure how he did it and if I can replicate it on a similar question without hindsight.

Edit : It's for Mclaurin's series for I needed it in 1\(1-x) form.

5. Apr 10, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If you want to go from the LHS to the RHS of [tex]\frac{1}{x^2+x+1}\equiv \frac{1-x}{1-x^3}[/tex] then what you need is for the numerators to be equivalent, but at the same time you can't change the LHS expression.

So what you can do is use [tex]\frac{1}{x^2+x+1}\cdot \frac{1-x}{1-x}[/tex] to get the numerator the way you want it, and simultaneously keeping the expression equal.

6. Apr 10, 2012 #5
    Alright thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook