1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial fractions

1. Jan 25, 2005 #1
    Given

[tex]\frac{2+5x+15x^2}{\left (2-x\right )\left (1+2x^2\right )}=\frac{8}{2-x} + \frac{x-3}{1+2x^2}
    [/tex]

I am asked to deduce the partial fractions of:

[tex]\frac{1+5x+30x^2}{\left (1-x\right )\left (1+8x^2\right )}[/tex]

I can solve it using my usual method, but that's not what the question requires. Any help? I can't see the link between the two.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2
    what is your USUAL method, and can people help you without knowing how UNUSUAL is not your USUAL?

[tex]\frac{1+5x+30x^2}{\left (1-x\right )\left (1+8x^2\right )}=\frac{A}{1-x} + \frac{B}{1+8x^2}[/tex]

and solve for A and B... this is the standard approach, is my method UNUSUAL? :surprised

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3
    i have a not so usual method... substitude x=2u in your first equation... and you will get the second one. is this what you looking for?

5. Jan 25, 2005 #4
    Yes, that's my usual way of solving such questions. But I still don't get it...

6. Jan 25, 2005 #5

This is wrong
    it should be :
    [tex]\frac{1+5x+30x^2}{\left (1-x\right )\left (1+8x^2\right )}=\frac{A}{1-x} + \frac{Bx +C}{1+8x^2}[/tex]

Now determin A,B and C by adding up these fractions and then compare the numerator with the given fraction...

marlon

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  7. Jan 25, 2005 #6
    Marlon: thanks for your help, but the question specified that I deduce and not solve.

Vincent: substituting x=2u works. Thanks.

8. Jan 25, 2005 #7
    i know, but that answer is already given. I just wanted to point out that the given partial fractions were wrong,...that's all

marlon

9. Jan 25, 2005 #8
    me wrong?
    did I say B is constant?

10. Jan 25, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Compute A and B with your formula...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?