Partial Implicit Differentiation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the partial derivative of a given function with respect to x. The person was wondering if they did it correctly and provided their reasoning for each term in the function. Another person suggested using the theorem of implicit functions, but the first person was not familiar with it. The conversation then moves on to finding the partial derivative of a function involving sine, with some uncertainty about the correct approach.
mattmns
Just wondering if I did this right:

Here is the question: find [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} of \frac{x^2}{9} - \frac{y^2}{4} + \frac{z^2}{2} = 1[/tex]

Now I put the [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/tex] on both sides then got.

[tex] \frac{2x}{9} - 0 + z \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = 0 [/tex]

So

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = -\frac{2x}{9z} [/tex]

Now I know this is the right answer I am just curious if I did it right, it has been a while.

Now my reasoning:

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{x^2}{9} [/tex] is just the derivative with respect to x, so it will be [tex]\frac{2x}{9}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{y^2}{4} [/tex] has no z or x, so it is constand and therefore 0.

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} \frac{z^2}{2} [/tex] has a z, so it is the derivative of itself, but times [tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/tex]

Is all of that correct, or did I do something wrong. The book I have only shows one example :mad:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks okay.You could have done it using the theorem of implicit functions,as well.

Daniel.

Thanks dex! I have no idea what the theorem of implicit functions is, but I probably could not use it anyway.

One more question for now :smile:

I need to find

[tex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} sin(xz) [/tex]

How exactly does this work?

Will it be: cos(xz) [times] what? [tex] \frac{\partial_}{\partial x} xz [/tex]

Which will then be cos(xz) [times] x ? This one seems to be wrong. Any ideas?

1. What is Partial Implicit Differentiation?

Partial implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is similar to regular implicit differentiation, but only one variable is treated as a function of the other.

2. When is Partial Implicit Differentiation used?

Partial implicit differentiation is often used in situations where a function cannot be explicitly solved for one of its variables, making it difficult to find the derivative using traditional methods. It is also useful when working with functions that have multiple variables and need to be optimized.

3. How is Partial Implicit Differentiation performed?

To perform partial implicit differentiation, the function is first differentiated with respect to the variable of interest, treating all other variables as constants. This results in a partial derivative. The other variables are then held constant and the derivative is found with respect to the same variable, but treating it as a function of the other variables.

4. What is the difference between Partial Implicit Differentiation and Total Differentiation?

Partial implicit differentiation only considers the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. Total differentiation, on the other hand, takes into account the derivative of a function with respect to all of its variables at once.

5. What are some real-world applications of Partial Implicit Differentiation?

Partial implicit differentiation is commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering to optimize functions with multiple variables. It is also used in the study of heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and chemical reactions.