1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial integration help

1. Oct 16, 2005 #1
    How do I integrate:
    [tex]\frac{xarctan(x)}{(1+x^2)^2}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have to show us how you started first.

4. Oct 16, 2005 #3
    How I started first? I tried with partial integration in many different ways.. :bugeye:

5. Oct 16, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "partial integration"? I've only heard that term used in reference to integrals of functions of several variables. Did you mean to say, "integration by parts"? If so, then please show us what you did.

6. Oct 17, 2005 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Before you integrate something, it's always good to spend some time to look at it closely.
    Now if you choose u = x, and dv = (arctan(x)dx) / (1 + x2)2, then it's very hard to find v.
    If you choose u = x / (1 + x2)2, and dv = arctan(x)dx, then you'll get a mess when you try to find du, and obviously, you are complicating the integrand.
    And if you choose u = 1 / (1 + x2)2, and dv = x arctan(x) dx, then it's hard to find v.
    And if you choose u = arctan(x), and dv = (x dx) / (1 + x2)2, you can make the integrand look simplier. Now just try it.
    You then come up with something like:
    [tex]\int \frac{dx}{(1 + x ^ 2) ^ 2}[/tex], you can again try to integrate it by parts.
    Viet Dao,

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?