Method of Partial Fractions integral help

In summary, the conversation is about solving for the constants A, B, and C in a function and then computing the indefinite integral. The person initially gets the wrong answer, but after being reminded of the correct method, they are able to fix their mistake and get the right answer.
King_Silver
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
I have a question where f(x) = 20-2x^2/(x-1)(x+2)^2 and have solved for constants A,B and C.
A = 2
B = -4
C = -4
I have worked this out myself. Now I am told to compute the indefinite integral and I am getting this answer but apparently it is wrong and I don't understand how?
My answer: 2ln(abs(x-1))-4ln(x+2)-4ln(abs(x+2)^2)

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your constants are right but you're integration isn't correct.

[tex] \int -\frac{4}{(x+2)^{2}} \neq -4\ln|(x+2)^{2} | [/tex]

Morgan Chafe said:
Your constants are right but you're integration isn't correct.

[tex] \int -\frac{4}{(x+2)^{2}} \neq -4\ln|(x+2)^{2} | [/tex]
Yea that is the part I am stuck on, I don't know what part of that integration is going wrong.

In general, for ##p\neq-1## and ##a## a constant, ##\int (x+a)^pdx=\frac {1}{p+1} (x+a)^{p+1} + C##

King_Silver said:
I have a question where f(x) = 20-2x^2/(x-1)(x+2)^2 and have solved for constants A,B and C.
A = 2
B = -4
C = -4
I have worked this out myself. Now I am told to compute the indefinite integral and I am getting this answer but apparently it is wrong and I don't understand how?

Help?
Actually it's called the "Method of Partial Fractions".

To evaluate the integral, ##\displaystyle \int -\,\frac{4}{(x+2)^{2}}dx \, ,\ ## use the substitution u = x+2 .

King_Silver said:
A = 2
B = -4
C = -4

Help?

First: you have written
[tex] f(x) = 20 - \frac{2x^2}{(x-1)}(x+2)^2 [/tex]
Is that what you meant, or did you want
[tex] f(x) = \frac{20 - 2 x^2}{(x-1)(x+2)^2}?[/tex]
If you meant the latter, you need to use parentheses, like this: (20 - 2 x^2)/[(x-1)(x+2)^2].

Second: what denominators go with the constants A,B,C? We can guess, but we should not need to.

Third: ##\int (x+2)^{-2} \, dx## does not involve logarithms.

Likes King_Silver
Hi King_Silver! :)

What's the derivative of ##\frac{1}{x+2}##?
Does that give us a clue?

Likes King_Silver
Thanks everyone I actually realized my mistake it was fairly stupid :) fixed it now and got it right!
it was (4/(x+2))+2ln(abs(x-1))-4ln(abs(x+2))

Likes I like Serena

1. What is the method of partial fractions?

The method of partial fractions is a mathematical technique used to simplify and evaluate integrals that involve fractions. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions that can be more easily integrated.

2. When should the method of partial fractions be used?

The method of partial fractions is typically used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) is a rational function, meaning it is in the form of a polynomial divided by another polynomial. This method is especially useful when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

3. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, the denominator of the rational function must first be factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, each factor becomes a separate fraction with unknown coefficients. These coefficients can be solved for by equating the original rational function with the partial fraction decomposition and solving the resulting system of equations.

4. Are there any special cases when using the method of partial fractions?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when using the method of partial fractions. The first is when the denominator has repeated linear factors. In this case, additional terms are added to the partial fraction decomposition. The second is when the denominator has complex roots. In this case, the partial fraction decomposition will involve both real and imaginary coefficients.

5. Can the method of partial fractions be used for improper integrals?

Yes, the method of partial fractions can be used for improper integrals. However, additional steps must be taken to ensure convergence. This may involve using limits or adding and subtracting extra terms to the partial fraction decomposition.